Losing weight + buying clothes

Options
2»

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Options
    I have from yard sales or thrift stores or on clearance. I also have things people have given me or I bought only to find out were too small. Those felt great when I fit them and even better when they they got too big!

When I was in ensanada last month I got a papas & beer shirt a size smaller so I can wear it longer. So it's kind of like a goal for me now also.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I don't buy them too small, but i'm finding one size up hangs off me and the smaller size fits but is a bit tight in certain places. Since I got another 17lbs i need to lose I may not go down into another size smaller but these will fit pretty well in the next 10-15lbs.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Sort of... I recently bought a skirt that was slightly too small, but one size up was too big. It was also 80% off and I needed some more professional looking clothes. (I am a grad student, so I spend a good part of my day in sweats writing...) I have about a month until I need to wear it and it should fit by then. I don't think I would intentionally go a size down as motivation. I know it works for some people (my friend did that with her wedding dress!). I would just find it frustrating.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I've bought 2 dresses in the past because they were just so perfect and a fantastic deal ($10 for one and ~$30 for another, down from $240).

The first hung on my wall, a leather spaghetti strap LBD, always reminding me how I didn't fit into it. Funny thing is, a few weeks ago I finally took it down and tried it on...and it was too BIG! I never even got to wear it anywhere. But it's a simple cut so I'm going to have it taken in when I reach goal.

The second is a cocktail dress black/white vertical stripes and lovely to behold. Learning my lesson from the first dress I'm resolving to try this one on once a month so I can wear it when it fits right.

And by accident I bought a size 6 pants in the style I've been wearing since size 12-was intending to buy size 8 but the hanger tag was wrong. I'm size 6 in jeans now so it shouldn't be too much longer before I can wear them.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have trouble finding jeans that fit because my hips are 12 inches bigger than my waist. LL Bean makes some curvy fit jeans that I love. Suddenly all their curvy fit pants showed up in clearance at half off or more! Were they discontinuing the curvy fit? Panic! I bought some 1 and two sizes smaller, for $10-20 each. I now can wear all but 1 style in the smaller of those, and ordered one more pair even smaller. I find it motivating to try on the clothes and see how they fit. My size has changed too much to have tried to keep only my old clothes. I need to check Goodwill, but 90% of the jeans made just won't fit me, so I tend to buy online.

I kept my favorite pair of jeans in my biggest size for my progress photos. They are ridiculously huge already.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've done this a couple of times, but the only time it really worked was my wedding dress lol! They wanted me to order it in a size 14, I had them order it in a size 12 and in the end I had to get it altered to a size 8. Once the weight came back I tried it again with a really cute VS bikini and it's still sitting in a drawer somewhere :( sometimes it works, but you really need to have the stronger motivation behind it!
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have bought things that are on clearance for really good prices, but only if they are just the next size down and I always try them on to see how much too small they are. I don't want to buy a summer dress and have it not fit until late fall.
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    Never---there is much more pleasure if you reach your gaol first and then go shopping :)
    exactly