Save me from boring oatmeal

Options
Hi Everyone! I'm trying to find yummy and low-cal ways to spruce up my oatmeal in the mornings......anybody have any ideas? I don't do artificial sweetners......but am in need of yummy ways to flavor my oatmeal!

Thanks for your ideas in advance!!!! :) Here's to good breakfasts!

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    mix in some unsweetened apple sauce :)
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    craisins?
  • Degren
    Options
    Raisins or dried cranberries.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Half a sliced banana and a table spoon of peanut butter

Just plain peanut butter

Diced apples with brown sugar

Sprinkles (it acts as a sweetener)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I add some whey protein powder sometimes, cinnamon always, Pumpkin, apples, peaches blueberries, bananas. I eat oatbran vs oatmeal. It has more fiber and protein. I also always add 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I was just introduced to putting a scoop of protein powder (chocolate) into the oatmeal....yummy...filling and gives some much needed protein but you are going to spend some calories on it but for a good purpose
  • RickinNH
    RickinNH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Any fruit that is in season, vanilla extract, splenda if you are so inclined, a teaspoon of real maple syrup, plain yogurt, cinnamon, mint.
  • crazynay96
    Options
    non fat yogurt

apple butter
  • phatphd
    Options
    Cinnamon solves many things for me. I love a very cinnamon-y oatmeal.

But I also enjoy a savory oatmeal (for days when fruit, etc. grow boring). Oatmeal is a great base - you can turn it into almost anything. I love it with some sautéed veggies (bell peppers, kale or spinach), garlic, and a sprinkle of sea salt. It's great with wilted arugula and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Or mushrooms and gruyere. Or for a sweet/savory combo: grapes, walnuts, and gorgonzola.
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love to add Nonfat Cottage Cheese or Light/fat free yogurt (choose your fruit flavor) to mine :) ... I even add egg whites sometimes ... YUM!
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Add splenda & unsweetened cocoa powder.. breakfast cum desert!!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

Pumpkin w/ pumpkin pie spice

Apples and cinnamon (if you need sweet Agave Nectar)

Any frozen fruit (I like mixed berries the best though) and almonds

1/2 a banana and 1-2 tbsp peanut butter

Brown sugar and walnuts
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Or try this recipe:

1/2 cup oatmeal
    2 egg whites
    dash of vanilla
    dash of salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix it all together and make like a pancake in a very hot pan.

Top with heated up frozen fruit.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Mix in an All-fruit spread..that is what I did this morning!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've put in pb and strawberry jam and diced fruit, anything to make it sweet!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    last time: handful of almond chunks and a teaspoon of real maple syrup
    this time: handful of cashews, scoop of chocolate chips, teaspoon of maple syrup
    next time: handful of raisins and a nut blend

No need for it to be plain jane, also have a look at the different instant flavours FOR IDEAS ONLY... apple cinammon? apple sauce and a pinch of cinnamon powder.... maple brown sugar? hmmm what would that take.... get some ideas.... blueberry?
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    Thanks everybody for all of the awesome suggestions! I can't wait to try them all out! :) Thank you!!! MFP is awesome and I'm so excited to get back in the game!
  • unequalstars13
    unequalstars13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every single day!!!

Oatmeal, I add a bit of soy milk, a tsp or two of brown sugar (only 15 calories per!), blueberries, slivered almonds or pecan pieces, and flax seeds. Delicious and FULL of super foods that will keep you running all day!!
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I like it savory instead of sweet sometimes

My fave combo is diced smoked ham and a wedge of laughing cow cheese with a teaspon of olve oil.

There are lots of savory combos to help change things up. You can search the forums here to find some threads about savory oatmeal.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My favorite oatmeal is some cinnamon with a few raisins and lots of diced apple. Any fruit is good in it though.