Using a *WEIGHTED vest* To BURN more calories?

Options
Hi everyone!!! :)

I just purchased a weighted vest that I figure I can wear during my workouts (such as dancing) to burn more calories. The vest I got weighs 20 lbs (about 9 kg).
I most likely won't start with the whole 20 lbs as the weight in the vest can be customized.
I just assume it's science and adding weight to myself would naturally cause me to burn more calories. Just as I would if I weighed 20 lbs more than I do.

Just wondering if anyone has added a weighted vest to their workouts?
I'd like to know your experience with using one. :) Did it increase your calories burned? Increase the amount of weight you lost per week? Increase your strength? Build muscle?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your comments! :)

EDITED: This is the information on Wikipedia

Weight vests are becoming a very popular form of adding weight around the entire core to, for the most part, simulate the fat storage areas of the human body. It is very useful for adding weight to limb-centric movements, and for handling great weights. Due to the large area available, it can also handle more weight. If well-affixed, it is the safest most natural means of mimicking added body mass without unbalancing the body's muscles. They can be used to add resistance to almost any whole-body movement.

Sounds good! :)

Replies

• rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no experience with one...but...I been giving a lot of thought to getting one...please let us know how it works :happy:
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I haven't used one but I give my 3 year old daughter piggy back rides during my evening walk sometimes and when I wear my heart rate monitor it shows I burn more when I carry her. She weighs 34 pounds. Theoretically, the more you weigh, the more caloreis you burn so I wish you the best of luck!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a weighted vest exactly, but I have added ankle and wrist weights to some of my workouts, particularly the P90x Kenpo. It's definitely upped the intensity for me, my calorie burn is higher and I definitely feel more of a burn. I assume a weighted vest might have a similar effect.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've been carrying two 10lb dumbbells on my walks. I burn more calories, but not a significant amount. I only show a marked increase when I do curls/hammers/etc while walking. Perhaps in my case 20lb of added weight isn't doing much.. For this reason I'm really looking into a weighted vest, probably around 40lb.

[Edited to fix a typo]
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,986 Member
    Options
    Wearing a weighted vest increases everything positively; calorie burn, strength, speed, aerobic fitness. My son has been using one since last Christmas and loves it. I used to carry handweights and wear ankle weights when I walked. My calves looked awesome, my upper arm and shoulder muscles became more defined, my oxygen intake increased, my walking speed was increased when I wasn't using the weights. 2 thumbs up~ get the vest.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted vest, but haven't used it yet. When I do Tae Bo, I sometimes wear my weight gloves, even for workouts that doesn't require wearing weight gloves.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    This is what Wikipedia says and it sounds very good! :)

Weight vests are becoming a very popular form of adding weight around the entire core to, for the most part, simulate the fat storage areas of the human body. It is very useful for adding weight to limb-centric movements, and for handling great weights. Due to the large area available, it can also handle more weight. If well-affixed, it is the safest most natural means of mimicking added body mass without unbalancing the body's muscles. They can be used to add resistance to almost any whole-body movement.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have one and use it when I do P90X Plyometrics and sometimes for lunges and Bulgarian split squats. Definitely increases the intensity.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted vest (up to 60lbs), they are amazing for push ups, pull ups, calisthenics in general.

I've used 20lbs on P90X's Plyometrics before, that was a wicked burn!

Push ups and especially pull ups become a lot more difficult with the vest, but your ability to do them vest-free will increase enormously also!

I'm not sure a weighted vest would be as effective on an elliptical machine, but it would definitely be great on a run/walk/jog!
  • ChrisR0se
    ChrisR0se Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
  • ChrisR0se
    ChrisR0se Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    Weighted vest...boobs counts lol
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Your first mistake is using any form of resistance as a means to burn more calories. Only get a weighted vest when you progress to that level.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard/read, adding weight isn't the best way to burn more calories. I assume the vest distributes the weight better than ankle or wrist weights, but it's still adding extra weight which means it's harder on your joints and cardiovascular system. The weights used to be a big thing back in the 80's where everyone just thought the more you sweat the better your workout is!

Anyway, from most opinions here, it looks like it's worked for most, so it would be interesting to hear what you find!
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a weighted vest and love it. I especially like it for lunges and squats. I usually have 30 lbs on it and then put a 20 barbell on my shoulders. That way I don't have to lift 50 lbs over my head. and carry it on my shoulders. Great burn. Get a good one. I have heard people complain that the weight pockets can tear on the cheeper ones.
  • Divamc
    Divamc Posts: 21
    Options
    I have used a 20lb weighted vest with success. When I'm really on my cardio game, the vest helps drop A LOT of weight. I've used it on my runs and on the elliptical. I don't know how many calories I was burning on the runs, but I can tell you that I can only run at a slow, pokey pace. It didn't matter...I still got what I needed. Granted, I used to be a cardio fool on the elliptical. I say, start with a lower weight and listen to your body. It is imperative that you use the correct form while wearing the vest because it is really easy to have back problems with it.
  • jedchoate
    jedchoate Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used 20 pound vest for everything before going into the military. And it payed off. During my last year I slacked off an got a little fluffy, Now that I'm out I'm using it again when I go on runs and I'm blasting away body fat again. I've lost 16 pounds in three weeks by lifting, running with the vest, swimming, ad most importantly a HEALTHY BALANCED DIET. Diet is key to optimum results (afterall you don't put diesel in a premium engine do you?) keep up the hard work! It'll pay off!
  • FitWifey79
    FitWifey79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a 60lb weighed vest that I wear on my 2-3 mile walk. I LOVE it. I don't care what anyone says. lol. The weight is distributed evenly so it doesn't seem to bother me too much. Since wearing it, my inner thighs, butt, hamstrings and stomach all burn like I've just done some massive strength training. I feel how I feel after squats or a leg workout. I haven't had it long enough yet to say the results.. but I know it's working!
  • FitWifey79
    FitWifey79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    oh yes I forgot to add.. and YES you burn more calories.. again I don't care what anyone is saying ... I sweat twice as much it's a much harder workout! good luck :)
  • metadatadoll
    metadatadoll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using a weight vest for about 5 months and have gone from using a 20 to now a 40. It really helps blast through a plateau and gain strength and stamina. I love mine soooo much. You may end up gaining more muscle and losing fat, so the numbers on the scale might not change much, but the way your clothes fit will for sure. Plus I feel all around stronger. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!