Low intensity cardio + weight training - Am I doing it right

2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    While the pictures are extreme example, the reality is doing lots of endurance long duration low intensity cardio not only takes a lot of time, but it tends toward endurance type bodies that are more typified by the marathoner than the sprinter. BTW, even with the different body make-up, if a marathoner changed how they trained they would change how they looked, Maybe this gentleman would never look like the sprinter, but at the same time, how his body looks is as much a result of how he trains as it is how his body is designed. Just so you know I do long duration cardio with cycling, but it is a small part of my exercise and it is certainly not done at a low intensity. If I am going to ride for an hour, I want to cover some territory and get in some good speed. I am simply not convinced that long duration low intensity training is of greater benefit than more intense less duration exercise.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    While the pictures are extreme example, the reality is doing lots of endurance long duration low intensity cardio not only takes a lot of time, but it tends toward endurance type bodies that are more typified by the marathoner than the sprinter. BTW, even with the different body make-up, if a marathoner changed how they trained they would change how they looked, Maybe this gentleman would never look like the sprinter, but at the same time, how his body looks is as much a result of how he trains as it is how his body is designed. Just so you know I do long duration cardio with cycling, but it is a small part of my exercise and it is certainly not done at a low intensity. If I am going to ride for an hour, I want to cover some territory and get in some good speed. I am simply not convinced that long duration low intensity training is of greater benefit than more intense less duration exercise.

First of all, it's not an either/or question--you are not restricted to one type of training over another, and it's not like if you choose one type you are dissing the over. This is such a tedious argument.

To say "how his body looks is as much a result of how he trains", may be technically true, but it is still an absurd statement to use as being emblematic of endurance training. The guy runs something like 150 miles a week. Are you implying that that is the same as doing 3 or 4 endurance cardio sessions of the type that most average exercisers are likely to perform?

It's not a question of "greater" benefit. There are different types of training for different situations and for different people. It is another tool in the toolbox. If the only tool ever used is a hammer, then all problems are treated like nails.
  • nattiepeach
    nattiepeach Posts: 40 Member
    Thanks again for all the info, very interesting. I think what is most attainable for the average person like myself is a good balance to keep it interesting and manageable.

I think what I would like to do is alternate high intensity interval sessions, and slow cardio sessions (although they take time, I don't mind doing them as they feel easier and I usually watch a tv show which passes the time). This, combined with weight machines/resistance training and pilates or yoga once a week, seems like something I could stick to and not get bored with.

Also, I'm doing pretty well sticking to my diet. To 'keep my body guessing', along with the mix of exercise, I eat 1200-1400 calories on days I don't work out, and 1200 + exercise calories on the days I do. I reckon that's enough trickery to fool my body while creating a decent deficit of about 800 - 1000 calories a day.

Also, keeping goals in mind and visualizing is a great help. I have a holiday in Thailand in November planned, by which time I would like to lose 15kg (realistically about 10kg). It's really encouraging to picture myself in a bikini on a beautiful Thai beach. Have any of you read the Gabriel Method? Although I don't rely fully on his principles to lose weight, I think a lot of what he says about visualizing can make a huge difference and help keep one on track :)