HELP

Options
I was doing so well and now it seems to be coming back. I thought I hit a platue since I wasn't loosing so I increased my workout intensity (not a lot just a little) but in the last week I have gained 3 pounds back. What I am doing wrong???? I took my measurements and they haven't changed so it all water weight?

Calories 1200 plus workout so it ends up 1500 +
Workout on ellipitcal 30 min 5 to 6 days per week.

Replies

• farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I was doing so well and now it seems to be coming back. I thought I hit a platue since I wasn't loosing so I increased my workout intensity (not a lot just a little) but in the last week I have gained 3 pounds back. What I am doing wrong???? I took my measurements and they haven't changed so it all water weight?

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

we do hang onto water a bit when strength training...since you mentioned 'alot' more was added in....I would say it certainly could be exactly that...temporary water weight....I was first going to suggest muscle but if you've measured recently then perhaps not.

I wouldn't worry to much about it...if you're eating within your cals, eating back at least some of your excercise ones, continuing to get plenty of water in, and sounds like you've got the workouts covered... might just chill and re-weigh next week. 3 lbs for a woman could be most anything....:wink:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    if you increased your intensity, you could be adding muscle
    Also watch what you eat, did you go out to eat or order in for the holiday(s)
    High sodium content will force water retaining
    Or if you've upped your coffee/caffeine intake to make it through this cheery season
    this will cause bloating in some people
    Any large change in sleeping patterns, maybe a lot less than normal, will throw your body out of whack as well.
    hope that helps a little to understand.
  • ksandi35
    ksandi35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Increasing the intensity of your workout may not be enough to kickstart your body out of the plateau. Add some variety to your workout. For instance, if you've always used the elliptical and you increased the intensity by adding more resistance or lengthening your workout...that may not be enough. Maybe try a short run/power walk on the treadmill. Play a game of racquetball...take a class at your gym...anything that is gonna shock your body out of the status quo. Good luck!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I would suggest cutting back on the amount of days you use the elliptical as well, and maybe up the duration of time you use it.

So instead of 30min for 5-6 days
    Try switching between 40min and an hour for 3-4 days.
    Or maybe go one week as normal and then alternate with the above suggestion.

If you hit a plateau, sometimes you can trick your body in to thinking its working out harder, even though you're really working out the same amount, just at a different breakdown.:flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I would guess water retention. For women our weight fluctuates so much it's almost not fair! Then we drive ourselves crazy with it. Like FC said, keep doing what your doing and weigh again next week.

I am one of those crazy people that weighs almost everyday but I don't let the up & downs get to me. Now if it was going up, up, up then I know to put the brakes on and look at my eating.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    Ladies~ Thank you so much for responding! I have been have troubles with logging in, so I apologize for not responding to you.
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said you should change up your cardio routine. When the body gets used to something (habit/routine) results won't come as quickly. Generally you should try to change up your workout once a month. I really like Self or Shape to give me ideas about strength training or cardio routines to do.

Also, it could be what calories you're eating, not just how many. A diet higher in lean protein will give you results. I had the same problem and I tweaked my diet so it was about 75% lean protein and complex carbs (veggies and fruits) and 25% "other" carbs (breads, pasta, etc.). Hopefully that helps!
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well, its probably a combination. Could be water, but I don't know much about that (other than it is cyclical during the month). I do know a lot of strength training leads to increased muscle, which weighs more, so, you're probably transforming your body... Have you been checking your Body Fat? That may be a complimentary way to check your progress. Good luck!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    im thinking muscle.....do u keep track of measurements? check ur guns...see if they're beefing up!