I am a week into this diet.....need help

gerdyh
gerdyh Posts: 3
I am a week into this diet. I have lost 2 lbs which is great but its all water weight. I worked out today after lunch which I feel great. Then I am afraid that if I eat dinner I will gain all the calories I just burned off. How do you do it? I want to know if I should have a big lunch then work out and then have a small dinner? I just really want to lose some weight but the right way. I do have 2 snacks a day between meals which is like a special K bar. I am new at this and want to be fit and healthy.

Thanks,
Heather

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    MFP works a deficit into your calorie allowance. So as long as you have calories left, you can have a moderate dinner. In fact, it's better to eat something when you have calories left than to go hungry.

Those first 2 pounds may well be water weight, as your body gets used to this new lifestyle. But keep with it and soon you'll be losing fat, too. Make sure to drink plenty of water, and watch sodium as well as overall calories. Make this something you can live with, and you'll take the weight off healthily, and keep it off. Kudos on your decisions!
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    I have really light breakfast and lunch, then I do my walk and eat dinner-- which is usually my biggest meal of the day (meat, veggies).

after a work out, if i feel hungry, then ill eat back my calories. if not, i dont. I was confused about this at first too, everyone has a different opinion, some eat back all their excercise cals and some never do. It's your personal preference.

Keep doing what your doing, you've lost 2lbs in 1 week -- which is GREAT, so clearly your doing something right :).
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    I am definitely no expert and I have read so many things about weight loss that say not to do this, but my biggest meal everyday is dinner. And I eat a snack right before I go to bed. I try to do at least a little bit of a workout everyday, but I don't freak out if I don't. I lost 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks and can definitely tell a difference in my stomach and love handles! I know enough to know that if you are constantly hungry you aren't doing it right, and your body will load up every calorie it can. This program is set up so even if you don't exercise you will have a calorie deficit (if you stay within your calorie goal). It is really hard for anyone to tell someone else what to do bc everyone is different, but you really have to listen to your body and identify what is right for you.
  • the theory behind the calories is this ... your body needs a certain amount of energy (calories) each day, it is said the 1 pound is 3500 calories, if you put in mfp that you wanted to loose 1 pound a week it will give you a calorie count 500 calories less each day then what your body needs to maintain your weight, at the end of the week you've eaten 3500 calories less (1pound). IF you exercise you have the option of eating back your calories or not, it's up to you, but mfp has already given you your calorie deficit.

hopefully that wasn't too confusing, it makes sense in my head
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    It will probably take a couple of months to figure out what works for you. You'll have to go a few weeks trying one way, and if you are seeing losses and feel like you could maintain that lifestyle, you keep on going. But if you're having trouble with feeling hungry or worn out, or you can't get your calories right, you'll have to try something different. Dinner is normally the smallest meal of my day, and that works for me, but dinner being a big meal works for others.. so, stick with it and keep on truckin' and you'll find the best way for you.
  • I went through a really bad break up and didn't feel like leaving the house at all but I was really strict with staying under my calories so i still lost about 2 lbs a week and that's not working out at all. I dont' usually eat "breakfast because I'm not up since I work second shift but I eat when i get up, before i go to work then again at work (usually something small) then I eat a pretty normal dinner when i get home from work. I try to make myself stay up a few hours after I eat, just so I'm not sleeping on all that food. For me, it doesn't seem to matter what or when I eat, just as long as you count all your calories and try to stay under, even if just a little bit.
  • Keep at it, honestly its so worth it once the good results kick in, then your body just starts going for it. I had a baby 10.5 months ago, i have lost all baby weight (20kgs) plus lost an extra 8 kilos since July. Ive found that so long as i have calories remaining in the day and i know my food choices have been good (high in fibre, iron, protein) then i always loose weight.
    Keep at it, you have loads of support on here and loads of inspirations.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    I love having a hearty dinner after a big workout! As someone else stated, MFP has your calorie deficit worked in, so eat the calories! It's best to have a bigger breakfast and lunch to give you and sustain energy throughout the day and a smaller dinner as you probably aren't burning as many calories at night. But like I said, I always work up a big appetite and try to eat a good hearty meal. :) I also have a mid-morning and afternoon snack to keep me going. It feels good to be in the habit of reaching for fruit and/or nuts rather than a bag of potato chips these days! Good luck on your journey to healthy!
  • Thanks for all your advice!!! I am going to keep trying different ways to see what is best for me. :)
This discussion has been closed.