Staying away from the scale

Options
How do you keep yourself from weighing yourself alot? I have this addiction with the scale that I seriously have to check myself a lot, and then it makes it harder on me too. what can I do to change this?

Replies

• kdanderson05
    Options
    How do you keep yourself from weighing yourself alot? I have this addiction with the scale that I seriously have to check myself a lot, and then it makes it harder on me too. what can I do to change this?
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Seriously......have someone hide the scale from you. I have hidden it myself but will dig it out to weigh myself. So have a friend, husband, family member...Whoever, either take it away or hide it from you.

That's the only thing that works for me, pIus.... won't go out and pay for a new one...LOL

Good Luck!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    get the measuring tape out, realize the scale is merely a tool but it can become problmatic as it's constanty on the move whether you eat well or not...water weight etc. can all greaty effect the number....

best thing to do if you find yourself addicted to weighing? Kick it under the bed!:bigsmile: Ahh yea, I'm serious...:laugh:

The tape measure will keep you in a much happier state and much more leveled out mood wise...it's a way more accurate tool for seeing the body changes... Really in the end...what does the number matter as long as you know you're eating healthy, excercising, drinking plenty of water etc....it's worth a shot, it's what many do if they get in your situation. Otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts!!:noway:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Honestly, from day one, I weigh once a week on Thursdays. The only time that changes is when I am going away or there has been a holiday (Like New Years! LOL!). I didn't weigh yesterday. I am giving myself a day or two to get back to normal! lol

BUT, knowing that your weight can fluctuate based on any number of things keeps me from weighing too often. I think I would just be setting myself up to feel bad for nothing! Because weighing is good as a guideline and is especially good if you are maintaining to keep yourself on track, but when losing it can wreak havoc on your confidence because we view success as the number going down. When it doesn't, we feel like failures! And it is just not a true account of how you're doing.

Once you understand that, it is easier to just weigh once a week. And often, the number is so great that you feel wonderful!!

-Tami
  • Booksarenice
    Booksarenice Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with fitnesschick. Use the tape measure. As an older person I will never be able to weigh 140 or so due to age, menopause, genetics (thanks mom and dad!) . But I DO know that my measurements will change for the better and that is what I am looking for. I depend on my clothes fitting differently.
  • OctoberBabe
    OctoberBabe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your pain and alot of MFP's have that problem. I have the same addiction but one of my new year promises is to measure and weigh once a month. I measured yesterday and weigh in today so I can't get on the scales till the 1st of Feb.

Alot of people say to put the scale in an inconvenient place or send it to a friend. I going to put mine in an inconvenient place 1st and see if the out of sight out of mind works:laugh:

Good luck to you and happy new year!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Couldn't tell you honestly I contstantly hop on my scale- Some say do it once a week I have heard its okay to do it everyday- because you can monitor your gains if you slip up a bit rather than stay away and gain 5lbs- To each is own I say I personally like hoppin on the scale in the mornings but I only log my actual weight once a week- the other times are solely for me.
  • ellie143
    ellie143 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been hopping on scale every day and don't feel it is a deterrent to losing. To each his own as far as I am concerned. By the way I am 76 years old:smile:
  • PrettyOscar
    PrettyOscar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have to hide mine and when I think about weighing I remind myself that I've hidden it from myself..... :blushing:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The weight scale has been the biggest discouragement ever for me. At this point I'm tempted to just give it to my parents or my friend down the street, then the only way I can weigh is to visit them. I'm too busy for visits most months so that would lead to me only being able to weigh once every other week or whatever.

Maybe try to just get rid of the scale. Put it somewhere accessible but not convenient.
  • kdanderson05
    Options
    Thats what I am going to do. I am going to make my husband hide it, just so I don't have to see it everyday and be tempted by it.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week that I weigh in for recording purposes ( usually on Wed) but I do check every couple of days or so (can't help myself :blushing: ) Just keep in mind that weigh changes daily. For example I had turkey kielsbasa yesterday with saurekraut ( extremely high in sodium), so just for the heck of it I got on the scale this morning and it says that I gained 3 lbs! Now, I know it's ALL water weight, but it may freak newbies out! Just keep that in mind if you a "scale jumper" LOL