Ladies, how do you deal with pms cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I feed my chocolate cravings. For 200 calories I can have 4 of my go-to pms favorite, hershey nuggets with toffee and almonds. The calories are worth it if it keeps me from totally breaking my diet. Hot chocolate is great too.

I usually do something similar, I will actually plan in 200-400 calories of "crap" food. Like a whole Hershey bar. Every so often I can trick my body with things like sugar free puddings, sugar free jellos (topped with whipped cream!), or sugar free hard candies. I like having stuff on hand that will calm the craving without totally killing my calories. But honestly, I still end up blowing it about 50% of the time, there just comes a point where the PMS kicks in and its like "Give me the ben and jerry's or I will stab you with something"....
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Oh and brushing your teeth and mouth wash. I know that sounds... weird...but its helped me a few times.
  • Felesina1
    Options
    I read an article once that taking Magnesium supplements during cycle can help relieve chocolate cravings. Chocolate is one of very few foods which are rich in Magnesium. According to that study, when our bodies are deficient in Magnesium we crave chocolate, therefore the study suggested taking Magnesium supplements to reduce chocolate cravings.

This is quite interesting. I have a jar of Calm (Mag supplement) on my counter; and for some reason I decided to use it this week out of the blue instead of my normal occassional use for constipation. Now I know why!
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Oh yea. There is nothing like eating food after you just cleaned your mouth. Blech! =)
    Oh and brushing your teeth and mouth wash. I know that sounds... weird...but its helped me a few times.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'll do great with my eating until the week before my period, then bam! I'm craving sugar like crazy, I'm constantly hungry, and have very little to no control over caving to my cravings and over eating. Does anyone have any tips or ideas that they use to help counteract pms cravings? I used to get extremely moody and emotional, now I want to go on junk food binges.

You DO have control.... its just an excuse where you tell yourself its TOM and that you cant control the craving... if you had a craving at any other time would you just give in?
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a stash of things I keep just for days like that!

For sweet cravings:
    - Frozen grapes
    - Frozen raisens (you could almost think they are chocolate)
    - smoothy made of strawberry, almond milk and frozen banana, so yummy and taste just like a milkshake.

For salty cravings:
    - roasted chickpeas with a touch of salt
    - veggie chips
  • EliRob
    EliRob Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a stash of things I keep just for days like that!

For sweet cravings:
    - Frozen grapes
    - Frozen raisens (you could almost think they are chocolate)
    - smoothy made of strawberry, almond milk and frozen banana, so yummy and taste just like a milkshake.

For salty cravings:
    - roasted chickpeas with a touch of salt
    - veggie chips

I really like your ideas! I think I will try them this week!!!! I really like how they seem like they would satisfy my cravings, without blowing my calories.
    I am just starting MFP and have found that of course my cycle starts two days in! I really appreciate everyone’s great ideas as well, thank you ladies!