I've found the Cardio that finally works for me.

For me, losing weight is 75% eating and only 25% exercising. MFP is taking care of the diet part for me very nicely. But I have finally found the cardio exercise that works for me like no other. I've Jogged for years, recently I've been doing Sprints/Walk workouts but my bread and butter cardio that kills calories like Raid kills ants is.................................SPINNING.

60 minutes of a Spin instructor yelling at me to keep it up and push myself, the peer pressure of not wanting to quit early, the total exhaustion and sweat of a full hour workout, LOVE IT. If you have a chance to do it, give it a try.....my 2 cents.

Replies

• I have been wanting to try spinning classes but I'm a little intimidated...sounds like it is a great fit for you, way to go!!!
  • I do that too, except on a bicycle where its more fun and better scenery
  • I love spin class too! Unfortunatly, the gym I go only offers it at 9am, 12pm and only one day a week at 6:45pm... so now that I'm working again, I can only go one day a week :(
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    spinning is AMAZING!!!! i miss it so much because it's not offered at my university, just my gym when i'm home for holidays. :(
  • jrcox520
    jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
    After I heard a lot of rave reviews like yours I went and tried it. It was okay, not really my cup, and OH MY GOD did my *kitten* hurt forever after!! Even so I tried it again, same result. Zumba is my flavor cardio. Its awesome that you found your niche!!
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Oh, my butt hurts just thinking of my one spin class...Years and years ago. LOL. I should probably give it another try since I'm more active now than I was back then.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    I love spinning too! I don't have a gym membership right now so I can't do it. BUT when I get one (eventually) I will definitely make sure there is spin there. That's awesome you've found it. And it's a super good exercise to trade off with jogging.

As for the comments about your butt hurting. I highly recommend purchasing a gel seat pad and bringing it with you. Your butt will still hurt but not as bad. And after a week or two you'll become used to it. I usually still used my gel pad but a few times I let friends borrow if they were new and trying it out and my butt was fine. Also bring a towel, you will sweat buckets!

Don't be intimidated it really isn't bad. If you don't want to or can't go as hard as the instructor wants you to just fake it til you make it. Or turn twice instead of three times on the resistance, etc. Until you're ready to go full fledged. If I can do it anybody can!

At 220lbs I was burning close to 1,000 calories per hour! Plus it builds muscles in your legs for sure! It's worth a try!
  • RegularGuy
    RegularGuy Posts: 8 Member
    If your butt gets sore on the bike, wear some of those padded bike shorts or I've even seen some people bring in a gel padded seat they bought at walmart. You'll get used to the seat, but a little extra padding is good to start with.
    I usually burn 600-650 calories in an hours of Spin.

Oh, and someone asked if this was hard on the knees. It is not, in fact it may be the best cardio for bad knees.