morning vs night time workouts...

Options
I have heard conflicting info on whether or not AM workouts are better than PM workouts. I've heard that working out in the evening, you burn more cals through the night even when you are sleeping. I have also heard that working out in the AM before eating any carbs causes you to burn more fat. Anyone have any pointers as to which seems to work better for losing fat/toning?

Also, what is your opinion on calorie cycling? Does it seem effective at boosting metabolism?

Replies

• vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I work out almost exclusively at night. I don't think there is a really "perfect" or ideal time. Whatever works well for you and your schedule! :smile:
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The only real benefit to working out in the morning is a very slight boost to your metabolism.
  • hilltx
    hilltx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read that if burning fat and weight loss is the goal that morning workouts on an empty stomach is the best way. I read this in a book called "Body for Life" a few years ago.

http://bodyforlife.com/

Take a look and see if that is a good resource for you.

Alan Hill
    Midlothian Texas
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's really what suits you best! I go through phases where AM is it, and then times when PM is it because of stressful days and exercise is the best stress relief. One thing I can say is that working out in the morning is favored by myself mainly because I get it done and out of the way and have the rest of the day to only worry about work/school. However, you may work a different schedule than I do so PM could be better for you. Always go with what your body tells you is the best for you :-) Good luck!!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I think it depeneds on the person. Personally, I like morning/afternoon workouts MUCH better.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have heard is that if you workout in the morning then your metabolism stays higher for several hours during the day. I have also heard that working out too late in the evening that the higher metabolism will hinder with getting relaxed enough to go to sleep… but once you are asleep your metabolism slows for rest so I cannot see how you could burn more calories once asleep.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I tend to like mornings better because it takes me a while to wind down and get to sleep after an evening workout. Just the way my quirky body seems to work. :)

LOL - on the other hand... I'm writing this at 10:30pm and will be heading to the gym in a moment. Glad tomorrow's a holiday!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon, evening--it's all good as long as you're keeping firm and in shape, and burning more calories than you take into your body. I prefer the morning time and the evening time. I'll run 7 to 8 miles in the AM, and until Jesus taps me on the shoulder to stop in the PM. On Mondays and Thursdays, I'll hard charge it in the AM with my runs, and then teach Step Aerobics in the PM. That PM Step class is no joke either, because my classes know I do it for the love of stepping. So, what time do I like to work out? It's all good to me.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have never gone to the gym before 10 am, I work 4-12, sometimes I will go during the day and get cardio and weights done, other times I will do cardio, abs, push-ups etc during the day and then lift- do weights, after work with a buddy. I never have trouble sleeping. I can get home at 2 am, shower and be asleep at 2;30 am. I have worked evening shift for most of my life so if I only get up early in the morning for ....fishing!!

I think it depends on the person, but just going to the gym on a regular basis is the key, once you make it a habbit, it is just part of your day.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think it's really all up to your preferences. I have gotten into the habit of nighttime workouts and yesterday, I worked out in the morning. Even though I still worked out my night didn't quite feel complete.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    if i work out in the morning i HAVE to have protein shake or bar afterwards otherwise i find myself insanely hungry all day...
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I LOVE morning workouts because the gym is empty and you can bust through your workouts without having to wait around for people idly sitting around on all the equipment between sets or completely oblivious to the basic fundamentals of Gym Etiquette.

For me, efficiency gives me a better workout since my heartrate stays elevated throughout my entire routine, rather than having to wait between exercises for equipment to free up, or only being able to do half my routine from there being too many people in the gym.

It's a personal preference however.

Cheers!