Left overs....wasted

So new habits are a challenge to make. In the past two weeks I have eaten out once. I have been cooking at home like a fool. Left overs are pilling up, right out to the trash. I've done the whole turkey meatballs with spaghetti then make subs the next day. I work a lot. Several hours a week with three job. It's easier to cook a few times a week then reheat through the week. But not good about the actually follow through after cooking. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you all for your help.

Replies

• michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    you could freeze your leftovers into portion sized meals and reheats and eat wen needed, stops food going to waste in the fridge.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    At my boyfriend's house, they only cook what they put on their plates and eat... so there's no leftovers at all. It's brilliant because you can't over eat.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I don't know how it's easier to cook a whole new meal than to reheat yesterday's leftovers.. I do that several times a week. Or I pack some leftovers for the next day's lunch. You can also freeze many types of dishes.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    when you precook meals and then feel like eating something else..... I assume that is what you are struggling with.

I will do the same thing from time to time. I will throw the veggies and any chicken in a freezer bag. Once I have a bag full, I make some chicken soup. Really quick and easy to do if you are using all precooked stuff.

I have also gotten small sized (freezable) containers. I prepackage several meals and then pull them out when I need a quick meal. Like to take to lunch or when I have had to work a bit late. I kinda make my own frozen dinners that way. Another plus is my husband and I can each have whatever we feel like on those nights AND I always have something to take to work for lunch!
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Ok this is gonna sound too simple but.... Cut your recipes down. I cut a recipe to feed how many people are actually going to eat it. If its just me and my husband I cut the recipe in half so it just feeds us two. I make out my whole weeks worth of meals and buy accordingly, I don't have leftovers and I don't buy more than I need. Does the cashier look at me weird because I buy 1 jalapeño? Yes... But oh well, I don't buy more than I need and I don't throw food away either!
  • if i cook and its comes out to about 8 servings I share it with my family and send plates thier way :P