Gym MAchines - Calories Burned

Options
I have a trainer that says, The calories burned on the treadmill and elliptical are not completely accurate. He suggest adding 25-50% of the burned value displayed by the machine.

Has anyone out there heard the same info? I ask because when I input the time I spent on either machine into myfitnesspal, it is always says I've burned far more calories then the machine . . .

Help???

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Our machines at my gym routinely underestimate. I believe a lot of people experience they overestimate. Either way, not very reliable!
  • wedjul05
    Options
    I have a HRM the polat FT4 and to be honest, I find it's the opposite to the treadmill/crossramp. I find the machines over estimate the calories whereas my HRM is less than the machine.

I trust the HRM better. It's not a huge dfifference though, maybe only 20 calories or so.
  • cstew44
    cstew44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you notice that if you input the time spent on either machine into myfitnesspal dail log that its higher then the machine calories burned by sometimes 200 calories or more . . .

I find this confusing and usually will only input the the number of minutes equal to the number of calories burned displayed on the machine
  • tommys
    Options
    I use a Polar FT40 HRM and it always shows less than the treadmill on calories burned. MFP always shows more than the actual burn when inputting the length of work out. I recommend getting a good quality HRM for the most accurate calorie burn estimate. I spent about $71 on mine via ebay and bought one for my wife as well, money well spent!
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Totally they are not keyed up for your height, weight and sex, I wear my HRM and they are about 25% out for me, they say less cals than the HRM
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Oh and I think MFP way over estimate