Cardio for knee injury?

Options
Hello all you fantastic people...I think I have a knee injury and until the doctor checks me over I don't want to push it too much, the past four times ive gone on my exercise bike I have had shooting pains and aching in my knee so decided to stop....prob should have sooner but I tend to ignore things and think its gonna be fine lol. I really want to carry on exercising even if its just a small amount because I refuse to fall back....any workout ideas would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Honestly nothing until you see your doctor. You could potentially make it worse. Don't risk it!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Trust me, don't play around with your knees. I have a torn miniscus. Very painful at times. Doctor told me that he could operate but it may not make it any better. (I wish I would have went to the doctor when it first starting hurting.) Doctor said that since it's starting to feel better to just stick it out.

Well, I can't afford to take all that time off from work anyway.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Honestly nothing until you see your doctor. You could potentially make it worse. Don't risk it!

i agree, you could end up making it worse in the long term
  • Felesina1
    Options
    I'm in your boat with double knee issues. At this point even bicycling isn't comfortable. I am trying to do low impact stuff and stop when my body tells me to stop... like swimming.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    No CV work. Maybe just do weights ? I know not a typical "cardio exercise" but if you lift a weight that is light enough you can repeat sets as a decent pace, you WILL sweat and burn fat!

I've recently had an op on my foot, and been doing the same - AND I;ve noticed my shape changing massively AND I do sweat (like I do on the treadmill!) - besides it's better than nothing right ?

definitely no "standard cardio" - agree with the others on here - you will make it worse... get well soon xx
  • xNightguestx
    xNightguestx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No CV work. Maybe just do weights ? I know not a typical "cardio exercise" but if you lift a weight that is light enough you can repeat sets as a decent pace, you WILL sweat and burn fat!

I've recently had an op on my foot, and been doing the same - AND I;ve noticed my shape changing massively AND I do sweat (like I do on the treadmill!) - besides it's better than nothing right ?

definitely no "standard cardio" - agree with the others on here - you will make it worse... get well soon xx

I will do this, I need to improve my upper body strength so I'll focus on that for a while. I remember hearing that boxing whilst sitting upright can get the heart rate going so i'll give that a go. Thank you for the advice ^^
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've also seen things like a stationary bicycle only you do it with your arms. Probably easier to do it with weights though. ;)
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    In June I suffered a bad knee injury, torn ACL, MCL and Meniscus. It took 8 weeks before I could get back to the gym. My PT has me doing elliptical and bike to loosen things up and absolutely no leg weights until I have full mobility! I would hold off on any lower body workouts till you see your doctor and they tell you what is wrong. For the time I was out of the gym (on crutches for 6 weeks) I did upper body exercises.
    Shadow boxing, using cans of food for weights and even bought some resistance bands to change things up. You have to give it time to heal. Good luck with the injury I hope it's nothing serious.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yeah and you know what, you will empowered that you don't have to give up completely. You are in control rather than feeling down that something is stopping you from doing what you want to do. And actually I have found a new love, weight training/strength training. And I can really see it working, I like to feel the burn afterwards (don't overdo it, but feels good to feel your muscles working). And you see results - which really surprised me!

Try it.. x
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Swim with your arms and just let the legs float behind ya.