Does Juice Count Towards Water Goal?

Options
I usually just have a cup of OJ in the morning, should I log that in my water goal as well as in my calories? Other than that I only drink water.

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i would say no. it has lots of sugar and has calories in it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    lol it's called juice, not water, so probably not ;)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    welcome to the water flame war! :explode:

I only count water and 0 calorie drinks. So my diet coke. yup. Juice, nope.
  • DafphineSpencer
    Options
    I guess that is a personal choice. I had gastric banding done in May and I do log all fluids i take in. Your example was orange juice. For me, yes, i would log it in my calories but i also consider it as part of my liquids. I have to get in 64 ozs of fluid a day and that isn't always easy. If i was having a bottle of water and adding Early Rise Orange Crystal Lite to it, then I would add that as my fluid. BTW, the early morning orange is packed with Calcium and other vitamins as well and does not have the calories of orange juice.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I don't count liquids as water if they have a high sugar concentration or caffeine because of caffeine's diuretic qualities. I don't know what kind of juice you're drinking, but if sugar or fructose, corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup is listed up toward the top, I wouldn't count it. I wouldn't be calling it juice either LOL.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Nope. It has calories (my 200mL has 88!) I would log it as calories (I have a drinks tab for this)

You can count it as fluid but shouldn't count it as water.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    If it has no calories I count it towards my water goal. I also have a drinks section for anything like juice or Starbucks :happy:
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is a controversial subject but my belief is that it does count as water intake as long as you log the calories too. Everything gets mixed up in your stomach so it's the same as if you drank a glass of water at the same time as eating an orange.
    I understand why people don't count tea or coffee but I think discounting fruit juice is a nonsense made up by bottled water companies.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Does it hydrate you? Contribute to clear-ish pee? Then yes. I find the "only water" thing silly. Even soup hydrates you. Milk too.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I understand why people don't count tea or coffee but I think discounting fruit juice is a nonsense made up by bottled water companies.

Some OJ can have as much sugar as a can of Coke. So not it's not just 'the bottled water companies' making stuff up again (Arnold)

OJ is another thing that is GREAT in moderation. I don't have four or five oranges a day. Same way I shouldn't have four or five glasses of OJ a day.

It will hydrate you, but it can be sneaky calories too. So counting it as water should not happen.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    frandy, why don't people count tea or coffee? (serious question, not sarcastic) I've wondered about tea....that's about all I drink other than water (usually at dinner)...it was made with water so why wouldn't it count......it's decaffenated, has five calories of sweetener in it....
  • Rae6503
    Options
    frandy, why don't people count tea or coffee? (serious question, not sarcastic) I've wondered about tea....that's about all I drink other than water (usually at dinner)...it was made with water so why wouldn't it count......it's decaffenated, has five calories of sweetener in it....

If it's decaffeinated, I'd count it.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Does it hydrate you? Contribute to clear-ish pee? Then yes. I find the "only water" thing silly. Even soup hydrates you. Milk too.
    This. I count anything that hydrates toward the 8 glasses of water. Even drinks with caffeine hydrate more than they dehydrate (meaning, if you drink 1L of diet coke it isn't going to dehydrate you by 1L). I count anything and everything that is liquid and hydrates (smoothies, chai tea lattes, soup, etc.). Of course, if it has calories, I also log it in the diary.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    water as in h2o flushes the body of toxins which build up through foods and other liquids etc etc etc, it helps regulate a healthy matabulism blah blah blah,,, putting it bluntly, dont avoid having nice clean crisp water
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Some OJ can have as much sugar as a can of Coke. So not it's not just 'the bottled water companies' making stuff up again (Arnold)

OJ is another thing that is GREAT in moderation. I don't have four or five oranges a day. Same way I shouldn't have four or five glasses of OJ a day.

It will hydrate you, but it can be sneaky calories too. So counting it as water should not happen.

That's why I said you still have to log the calories.

Tea and coffee (and coke) contain caffeine which can have a diuretic effect. Some people argue that this can dehydrate you but others believe that the water taken in with tea just about balances out the diuretic effect. Everyone is affected by caffeine to a different degree though so I think it's a personal choice if you count it or not.

Edit: as Rachel said, I would count it if it's decaff.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    water as in h2o flushes the body of toxins which build up through foods and other liquids etc etc etc, it helps regulate a healthy matabulism blah blah blah,,, putting it bluntly, dont avoid having nice clean crisp water

Yeah, but your body takes the water out of everything it digests and uses it the same way.
  • Ballard12
    Options
    I like to drink flavored Carbonated Water to try to help me reach my 8 glasses a day! Anything with Sugar I wouldn't count!