UNDER CALORIE GOAL

i am 5' 6" and currently weigh 153 lbs. (down from 159, GW is around 125-130)
my weight is just not coming off very fast and i noticed i just can't reach eating all my calories each day no matter how hard i try. (except yesterday when i pigged out on Mexican food at a birthday party! ha!)

does everyone eat all their calories each day, or even go over their calories a bit when they are successful in losing? i have read about eating exercise calories, but i'm unclear on this concept (sorry, new to working-out) and wonder if i should up my calories. i don't know how i will, i eat as much as i can! i'm just not hungry anymore these days.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I eat a LOT. 1800-2500 calories a day. I eat all my exercise calories. This works for me for weight loss. It's been slower than some (but 12lbs since May is great for me). I think it's especially important to eat all your calories when you don't have very much to lose.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    I had that problem too. Scared me because eating disorder infor is all over the place and they stress so much the 1200 here. It's really important to respect your body and not eat if you're not hungry as long as what you are eating is good, whole, unprocessed food. You will get hungry - something to look forward to:)
  • I do most of the time but that is because I need to in order to stay satisfied. My rule of thumb is that if I am truly hungry eat! I have been told that you need to eat your exercise calories to keep your metabolism up.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    I have been told that you need to eat your exercise calories to keep your metabolism up.

this is where i am confused, i'm not sure what eating your exercise calories means. does that mean to record my exercise and however many calories i burn, i should eat that many more that day?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I have been told that you need to eat your exercise calories to keep your metabolism up.

this is where i am confused, i'm not sure what eating your exercise calories means. does that mean to record my exercise and however many calories i burn, i should eat that many more that day?

Yes.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    thanks everyone!
  • Falling_star
    Falling_star Posts: 204 Member
    i eat all my 1200 carories per a day then my most of my exercise calories too.
  • i_like_snow
    i_like_snow Posts: 64 Member
    I'm new here so forgive me but.......

I don't understand. I thought you wanted to burn calories by exercising. Why would I want to eat more food to replace those calories?
  • To keep your metabolism up. You dont want your body going into starvation mode. I know it sounds odd but sometime diet fail because we arent eating enough!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    I don't understand. I thought you wanted to burn calories by exercising. Why would I want to eat more food to replace those calories?
    [/quote]

MFP gives you a calorie deficit already built into your daily calorie goal. If I work out really hard then I eat most of those calories back so that I don't create too much of a deficit on top of the one that MFP has already given me. Plus, I gotta fuel my body!