Need Help from EX-heavies

Options
I need to hear success stories. What did you do that made the pounds come off? I don't want to hear "diet & exercise"... Be more specific.

I lost quite a bit of weight last year doing things a particular way. Attempting the same this year has not brought me any luck. I'm looking for new ideas. I want idea's that have worked for you. Not a friend or family member, but you!

Thanks for your help MFP!!

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    This was on 08/18. Those are for when I have time. But it's more or less what I do. Of course diet as well.

Todays Work Out

So, today was a great day. I woke up at 5:45AM. Brushed, got dressed and off I went.

I ran (according to Nike +) 4.78 miles. I burned (according to my Polar FT4) 655 calories doing that in 41 minutes. I did some sprint, jog the last mile. Max heart rate was 184.

Went to work as usual. Then to the gym.

Part 1 (warm up)

15 Minutes on Tread mill doing the following on an incline of 6:

1 Minute of walking at 3.5 speed

1 Minute of jogging on 6 speed

30 seconds of sprinting on 10 (max allowed)

Repeat for the whole 15 minutes(256 calories burned)

Part 2 (Abs)

Seated sit up machine (?) 10 reps at 110

25 pushups

10 standing side bends (each side) holding 45lb plate

45 second planks

10 Kettle Bell swings (15lb bell)

Take a 30 second breather and repeat the series 2 more times. I upped the weight on the seated machine by 20lbs each time.

Torso Twist (10 on each side) starting at 50lbs

20 Russian Twists with 8 lb kettle bell

15 Jumping Jacks

20 Bicycle twists

Take a 30 second breather and repeat the series 2 more times. I upped the weight on the Torso machine 20lbs each time.

Total time was 16 minutes and burned additional 212 calories according to HRM

Today was back and shoulders

I don't know the name of the machines or execises, or I'm just too tired, but a total of 41 minutes were used strengthening my shoulders and back. I burned a total of 455 calories. Total day was 1578. Ate like a champ. Off to bed. Gnite al. Get the sexy back!

This was from my blog. Good luck and don't be scared to sweat and breathe heavily.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What I'm doing is running. When I run I can feel the pounds falling off. I also eat lots of fibre and drink tons of water. If I do those three things the pounds come off. If I'm not able to run I pop in a Jillian Michaels DVD.

Good luck!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have lost 87 lbs so far and still going towards total of 120.
    This time I have given up caffeine drinks totally. Actually allow myself one a month but havent wanted one or had one since 4th of July.
    I also have cut out almost all processed foods which in turn has lowered my sodium intake and intake of unhealthy foods.
    I also do not eat foods high in the glycemic index which includes all white flour products.

I log everything I eat and stay within the guidelines of MFP.

I personally do not eat my exercise calories and this is MY reason why:
    I read where people in general underestimate their calories by 40% and overestimate their calories burned by 20%. If you figure that into the calories you eat each day you are already eating your exercise calories back. For example.If I was eating 1000 calories a day and underestimate the calories by 40% Im at 1400 calories already. No need to eat those calories I burn back then,

I also go to the gym everyday and get at least some sort of exercise. Elliptical, treadmill, abd crunches, strength machines.

You have to be ready mentally to take this journey. This time I was mentally ready. Not sure why but something clicked this time.

Good luck on your journey and you are welcome to look at my diary. I am doing carb cycling right now so my numbers will look a little wacky but what I am supposed to have in carbs, fat and protein is in the notes at the bottom.

I have had 2 knee replacements and 1 hip replacement. Still have one hip replacement to go and I live everyday with pain. If I can do this then anyone can. I started out slow with the exercise and gradually increased it.

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kacbldmm07
    Options
    For me, I only eat 1200 calories or less everyday. I eat high fiber items. I run 2 miles every day with sunday being my day of rest. I stay strict to my diet and never go over. I allow myself one meal every two weeks where I eat what ever, but have only water for the rest of the day. I do notdrink anything but water. I do not eat anything past 5pm.
    It gets hard a lot. But if you stay true it will work. I have done this four times (this being my 4th) and have lost 90+lbs each time.
    Edit: I have done this so many times not because I gain it but because I have 4 kids.,i have always kept my weight down after stopping my heavy diet.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 stone in a year.

I ate blueberries, goji berries and 50g of museli for breakfast (I had the dorset cereals one..yummy!)

2 days a week I'd have something like a couple of poached eggs on toast if I had time to grab them.

Mid morning I'd eat something like banana or apples or both!

Lunch I'd have something like a noodle salad, just to get some carbs in, it's important to have something carby here, either that or 2 wraps with meat and salad (no processed meats whatsoever..) If you can find a dressing that's very low calorie and not too bad on sugar then you can add this too. You can mix it up though, soups, meats, salads, wraps etc to keep it slightly interesting. I had some of those chicken in a bag things that you put in the oven for 60 mins, added some rice and salad and it was amazing! I can't stress turkey enough it's SO good!!

Then depending on if I was doing exercise or not I'd:

Non exercise day: I'd have a slightly bigger dinner with more meat and salads with different dressings. I'd also have things like burgers off the george forman, it's quite a high protein diet but it's not a no carb diet which in my opinion is the worst thing in the world! You can have 1 wrap here if you feel starving! :)

Exercise day: I'd have 2 lunches, 1 with wraps 1 with salad, one at 12 one at 3, then I could do my maximum in exercise because I'd have lots of energy. Plus I always got back late from exercise so I couldn't have anything heavy so salads and meat again for dinner.

I know it's boring but I can't think of a million things I had at the min, I'll add suggestions as I think of them but I just literally calorie limited to 1200 and consistently lost weight week after week. I never ever had less though or I lost nothing.

On top of this I had 5 green tea's a day (got some really good ones from china town, you can google yunnan green tea if you want )

OH and you can have a treat day on mine once a week. You can choose the day, don't go mad and I'd suggest it being one large meal at once but you need this for you and for your body. You'll notice you lose so much more with this!