Healthy Spin-offs on Unhealthy foods

Options
Ok, so this year I have my own apartment, not on campus, so I can't rely on the dining hall when I'm too lazy to cook. What are your favorite healthy versions of unhealthy foods. Preferably cheap stuff too.

My favorite unhealthy food is mac n cheese. Anyone ever try cauliflower or squash versions of it?

Help! I've already regained 5 lbs this school year!

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    The recipes section is FULL of conversions like this. Give it a look!

Also, I looooove boiled cauliflower with a little cheese, spices and nonfat greek yogurt mixed in. Crushed dry-roasted almonds sprinkled over top gives a nice crunch and some saltiness. Just make sure you strain the florets and squeeze out the water. )I put them in between two paper towels and squeeze. Enjoy!
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    *bump* I'm with you.. I'm running out of ideas already!
  • texancountess
    Options
    Check out Rocco DiSpirito's cookbook "Now Eat This." He tackles all kinds of recipes that are "favorites" and shows you how to make the lower calorie version of it. My sister uses it all the time and absolutely adores the food.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Instead of beef burgers, I love turkey burgers.

Ground Turkey
    Peppers
    Onions
    Garlic
    A little Worcestershire sauce
    Pepper
    Dash of salt

Awesome in the protein department.

Also, my blog has a couple pretty awesome recipes if you look there as well.

For super fast and cheap...
    Amys Organic Tomato Soup with a little cous cous (total cook time...less than 5 minutes) and it is so filling!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com and www.hungrygirl.com have awesome recipes
  • GvMeSmthn2Lstn2
    Options
    ooo I likes these keep 'em comin!