Weight loss pills

Options
I was looking for some information about weight loss pills that help step up weight loss a bit. Do they really work, are they harmful and do they have side affects?

Replies

• SaundraU
    Options
    This is a question for your doctor as there are many factors that are specific to you. When I talked to my nutritionist she only suggested regular vitamins for me with no additives along with eating right, water intake and exercise.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Very few actually work, some are harmful and most have side effects. HTH
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My dr. told me that if I do try anything it should be Alli that is sold over the counter at Walmart and other pharmacies. He said it does actually work and that is the only thing he would recommend.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Some work, some dont. Most, if not all, have side effects. Some effects are very ugly and hurt your body badly.
  • Hollirot
    Hollirot Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I take OxyElite Pro, and it works for me. It's a super thermogenic fat burner, but I use it mainly because it significantly decreases my appetite. Which is great for me, becasue I love to stuff my face. :wink:
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Talk to your Doctor... after trying several other things (I have a couple weight related medical issues) he put me on Adipex for a short while. It works well as an appetite suppressant. Over the counter stuff never worked (I kept having to tell myself "I am not hungry" when I really was) If your Doc does prescribe stuff, often insurance will not cover the meds... know your costs, You will need to go in monthly or more often for your doc to check you out to make sure that it is still working and is not adversely affecting your health.

THe BIGGEST Thing, from a layman's point of view (Lotsa stuff you need to know from a Medical POV and that should come from your Doc) that I found, is that if you do NOT change your HABITS while on these type drugs, you will gain it ALL back with friends when you come off of the meds. It should be viewed as an assistant to your weight loss journey not as the end all, be all solution.

Good Luck!

~ Sonia
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Weight loss pills are bad for you! Trust me - I have a heart arrhythmia now (at 29) from taking them too much when I was younger. Yes, they worked. While I was taking them. As soon as I stopped, back up went the weight. And the damage is permanent. Just so NO to pills. ;) take it from a reforming couch potato - exercise is how you step it up, not drugs. Good luck!!!
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The only one that I would consider safe and has worked for me are PGX fiber supplements. It is plain and simple fiber. You take 1 or 2 20-30 minutes before your meal and it fills you up so you eat less. Make sure you read the directions AND talk to your dr. first.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    My dr. told me that if I do try anything it should be Alli that is sold over the counter at Walmart and other pharmacies. He said it does actually work and that is the only thing he would recommend.

From what I've heard about that you had best stop eating ALL fat. If you dont, then take a change of clothes with you EVERYWHERE and prepare to not make it to the bathroom on time. NOT kidding
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

yeah if you like crapping your pants, have you read the small print on the package, was thinking about trying them , read the small print, no thank you
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I have taken oxy elite pro , works real good, got alot of help out of it. i am now taking hydroxycut max, not as good but cheaper, and taking it mainly because it gives me that little boost in the morning.

if you are at all sensitve to caffeine i would not take them
  • ziggy1703
    ziggy1703 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Tudibaby,

I personally use Alli weight loss pills. I know there is a lot of hype about the side effects but I have never experienced them. The big thing is sticking to the reduced fat content. If you eat too much fat you will have those side effects. I haven't been able to stick to any other diet I've tried but Alli basically forces me to eat healthy because I don't want to experience the side effects. One thing about Alli is it can be expensive but if you watch the different supermarkets and drugstores they will run sales from time to time.

Good luck with whatever you do :)
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Hey Tudibaby,

I personally use Alli weight loss pills. I know there is a lot of hype about the side effects but I have never experienced them. The big thing is sticking to the reduced fat content. If you eat too much fat you will have those side effects. I haven't been able to stick to any other diet I've tried but Alli basically forces me to eat healthy because I don't want to experience the side effects. One thing about Alli is it can be expensive but if you watch the different supermarkets and drugstores they will run sales from time to time.

Good luck with whatever you do :)

ofcourse allie is going on the theory that all fat is bad , and all fat makes you fat. which may or may not be true