Question!!

Options
If i go over my protein/fat/carbs but stay under on my calories will i still lose weight or do i have to stay under on all of them???

Replies

• sayrahjoy
    Options
    If i go over my protein/fat/carbs but stay under on my calories will i still lose weight or do i have to stay under on all of them???
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Generally too much of anything is bad
    if you are over eating your fats, then Id say yes, its possible you won't lose.
    Carbs as well.
    Im not sure how you go over on these but not calories.
    Anyway, eating a healthy balanced diet with correct portions is BEST for this site to work.
    Each person is different, but if you want to do this correctly and feel better,
    stay at or under all levels.
    Some people who are heavy into weightlifting go over on protein, but I don't recommend it all the time.
  • sayrahjoy
    Options
    i just go over a little on either protein or carbs or fat like maybe 2 or 3 points
  • mjfer123
    Options
    If its only a little dont get too worried.
    But try to curb it now while you start so you are prepared to make this a life long change.
    And a point on here can be as little as a milligram or as big as a gram.
    Just be careful and good luck on reaching your goals.
  • sayrahjoy
    Options
    If its only a little dont get too worried.
    But try to curb it now while you start so you are prepared to make this a life long change.
    And a point on here can be as little as a milligram or as big as a gram.
    Just be careful and good luck on reaching your goals.

Thanks so much!!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    why would it hurt to go over protein? that's the muscle builder.....
  • Vanessa414
    Options
    Calories are calories. If you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight.

That being said...

The types of calories you eat, whether they be from fat, protein or carbs, will greatly effect many things including how you feel in general and how fast your metabolism runs.

You absolutely want to have a nice, balanced diet so that you have energy for your work out and just for life in general.

Anyway, that's my two cents. You'll lose weight, but you want to make sure you feel good too!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Essentially, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Unless you're a body builder you probably don't need to worry about sticking to exact numbers other than your overall caloric intake goals. Now, with that said, you do need to be concerned about nutritional value. Can you loose weight on a diet of bread and cheese---Yes. Can you get your daily nutritional needs that way....NO. And that will have a long term impact on your weight.

Bottom line, don't obsess too much about exact numbers. MFP tends to underestimate protein anyway and you can end up over on carbohydrates by eating lots of veggies and salads....which certainly won't hurt you. Just make sure that you're eating good balanced, nutritional meals. You can best do this by eating lean meats, good fats like olive oil, fruits and veggie and whole grains.

The important things to watch:

Stay within your calorie guidelines
    Eat plenty of good fats but avoid saturated fats.
    Get enough fiber
    Drink plenty of water

Everything else is dependent upon your personal preferences and how your body responds to your diet. Some people simply can not loose weight on a high carb diet while others have no problems. Experiment a little.
  • sayrahjoy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!!
  • lessertess
    Options
    Looks like owensmommy and I were thinking alike :wink:

By the way. If you are over on carbs and protien then it's possible that you're not getting enough healthy fat....you might want to check as you need fat to supply energy .

Other than that, it could be that you're making very good food choices
  • sayrahjoy
    Options
    Looks like owensmommy and I were thinking alike :wink:

By the way. If you are over on carbs and protien then it's possible that you're not getting enough healthy fat....you might want to check as you need fat to supply energy .

Other than that, it could be that you're making very good food choices

I always go over on protein. I like to eat chicken breast and tuna fish for lunch or dinner. and everytime i eat tuna and then chicken it makes me go way over on protein but everything else im under on.
  • lessertess
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great. You're making healthy food choicesYou know the old saying....

If it ain't broke: don't fix it

:happy:
  • mjfer123
    Options
    Doctors recommend you limit tuna consumption due to mercury content.
    Just a warning you probably heard already.
    If you eat tuna regularly you might want to watch out.