Easy Vegetarian Meals?

Options
Hi! I am a college student and a vegetarian....however unfortunately i'm not a very healthy vegetarian. I eat salads...sometimes! Lol, but I just want to know if there's anyone out there that has a low effort and healthy vegetarian menu or meals they could share with me! Thanks :D

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Cube up a bunch of watermelon and feta. Toss it in arugula with a few sprigs of mint in a homemade citrus vinaigrette. Easy and yummy!

Vinaigrette:
    1/4 cup orange juice
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon honey
    1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Put in a tupperware and shake vigorously for 2 minutes. Refrigerate up to 1 week.

Use as much or as little as you'd like. Enjoy!
  • stmrachel
    Options
    Get some teriyaki sauce or szechuan sauce, broccoli, and firm tofu. Put a little water in the bottom (like a 1/2 inch or so) of a deep frying pan with a lid. Add the choppped broccoli and chopped tofu (if you buy the kind in the rectangle dish, you cut it in the container really quickly, and put on the lid and cook it on the stovetop until the broccoli is tender. I add the szechuan while it cooks as well, but you can drizzle it on when its done if you want. It is also good over rice or quinoa.
    Another one: Chop up veggies in bite size chunks mix in some olive oil, put on baking sheet, and bake at 375 or 400 for 30-45 minutes. then eat as is, or add some marinara sauce if you want. You can season with just about anything... salt and pepper, lemon pepper, italian herbs, soy sauce...
    I'm not vegetarian but trying to eat more vegetarian and these are my two easiest, healthiest favorites.
  • yoghurtand
    Options
    I've recently discovered sweet potatoes! They're a superfood as far as I'm concerned. Very nutritious and taste great. You can just whack them in the ovenfor an hour or so and use them like a normal jacket potato (i.e put whatever you want on them). I also like making salsas. Tomatoes, chopped peppers and onions fried in a little oil with whatever herbs you have to hand. If you eat eggs, omelettes and frittatas are easy - I like them with spinach and soft cheeses. One of my favourite meals is a creamy mushroom sauce with pasta - look a recipe up, it's delicious.

There are so many different healthy vegetarian things to eat! Just look around a few food websites like bbcgoodfood and you'll find loads.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Easy meals can be found here: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/category/dinner/

Easiest vegetarian dinner for me is beans and rice. Quick easy and yummy. I make my own beans so it is tastier and healthier than using canned beans. They are easy to make and store.

I just collect recipes throughout the years. Cut some dairy and it could make meals a lot healthier. I no longer buy fake meats either.
    Pick up Vegetarian Times. They always have great recipes in there.
  • stmrachel
    Options
    OH! The post above my last one - I've tried a recipe very similar to that and it's amazing! I second that post!
  • GreenThyme
    Options
    I recommend "The Student's Vegetarian Cookbook" by Carole Raymond. I use it all the time because the recipes are designed to be easy, healthy, and inexpensive. I particularly like the Dal and Easy Pot o' Chili.

I'm not a student anymore, but this book is still a staple for me!
  • efarester
    Options
    We have a great cookbook called "College Vegetarian Cooking" by Megan and Jill Carle. I LOVE this cookbook. The recipes are super easy to make and they are so yummy! The recipes are broken into the following chapters: Survival Cooking, Cheap Eats, Avoiding the Freshman Fifteen, Dinner for One, Just Like Mom Makes, Food for the Masses, Party Food, Impressing Your Date, and Desserts.

If you want to try a few recipes before buying - let me know. I can end you some recipes from it.

Hope this helps!!

:)
    Erika
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of rice mixed in with frozen vegetables and a little tofu. I would cook the rice to almost done then throw the veggies and tofu in the same pot and mix. When I lived in a dorm, I tons of cereal, poptarts, and uncooked veggies, since we only had a microwave and I hate frozen dinners. I wished I had known how to eat healthier from a microwave but I did avoid the freshmen 15 and ended up losing 5 pounds and totally reshaping my body because I started roller derby when I didn't get into a sorority.
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas...mush them into hummus or my favourite is a sandwich filling. Mush the chickpeas add veganaise, celery, dijon mustard, onion, any herbs you have and its like 'chicken salad' I also will add kelp powder to make it "tuna salad" eat with lettuce on bread or fill a romaine leaf...so good. I add more ingredients just can't think of them now.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    goats cheese and butternut squash lasagne

Ingredients

For the tomato sauce:
    1 tbsp oil
    227 g canned tomatoes, chopped
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

For the veggies:
    1/2 a butternut squash (chopped into 2cm cubes)
    1 leek (chopped in half lengthways, and smaller if desired)
    1 red onion (quartered, will spread out once roasted)

For the cheese sauce:
    1 mug milk
    1 tsp butter
    1 tbsp flour
    240g goats cheese (not all of this goes in the sauce, about 1/4 will be saved for crumbling on the veggies)

Extras:
    3 lasagne sheets
    Some grated cheese (used Derby for it’s mild flavour)

1. Preheat the oven to 220*C
    2. Chop up the squash, onion and leek ready for roasting

3. Throw the veggies into a pan, coating with oil and roast for 45 minutes - checking every 10/15 minutes

4. In the meantime, heat some oil in a frying pan and add the canned tomatoes, garlic, tomato puree, sugar, salt and pepper, bring to the boil and then allow to simmer for 10 minutes.

5. While this is doing, chop up 3/4ths of the goats cheese as best you can and put in a saucepan

6. Add the flour, milk, butter and any salt/pepper/paprika to taste.
    Heat on the hob and keep stiring until it’s thickened.
    Don’t allow to boil.

7. With all this preparation and sauce making the roast veggies should be done, put half in the bottom of the dish, crumble some of the remaining goats cheese on and cover with the tomato sauce.
    Put the lasagne sheets on top.

8. Put the rest of the veggies in, crumble the remaining goats cheese and cover with most of the cheese sauce, put lasagne sheets on.

9. Put the rest of the cheese sauce on top and add a bit of grated cheese.

10. Bake for about half an hour at 220*C
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do a blog/ site once in a while.... Just for fun. Http://www.popvegonline.com

Early was vegetarian, then became vegan. There are some really good things there... IMHO. Lol
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do a blog/ site once in a while.... Just for fun. Http://www.popvegonline.com

Early was vegetarian, then became vegan. There are some really good things there... IMHO. Lol
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I make a bunch of servings of quinoa/brown rice combinations for the whole week, and usually end up making this salad for lunch - super yummy and satisfying and keeps me full for hours.

1 cup of quinoa/brown rice mixture
    1/2 cup of black beans
    1/4 avocado
    5 cherry tomatoes, halved
    Lemon Juice, salt and pepper

it's about 400 calories. Delish :)
  • CherryTop
    CherryTop Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mango
    Avocado
    Red Onion
    Tomato
    Cilantro

Cut in large chunks mix & eat ... if I have lime on hand I squeeze it on there ... total YUMmmmmmm !
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty lazy and get scared off by recipe sites, but I do eat mostly vegetarian...

I usually go with a healthy cereal (muesli, oatmeal, or Kashi something) with almond milk and fruit for breakfast, for lunch maybe some sort of sandwich, peanut butter or veggie usually (cucumber, tomato, spinach, sprouts, and hummus) and another piece of fruit, dinner is usually veggie protein, like a chik'n pattie or something, a vegetable, and either a sweet potato or brown rice. For snacks I try to pair fruit with protein or veggies with a healthy fat.

For a while I was eating black bean burritos, which were pretty much just canned black beans, canned corn, diced tomato, brown rice, and a bit of cheese in a whole wheat tortilla. It's also really good with lettuce instead of the rice or made into a salad.

Vegetable soups can take a little work, but you can get a big batch out of it and have something you can eat all week.
  • queen3510
    Options
    bump
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    We have a great cookbook called "College Vegetarian Cooking" by Megan and Jill Carle. I LOVE this cookbook. The recipes are super easy to make and they are so yummy! The recipes are broken into the following chapters: Survival Cooking, Cheap Eats, Avoiding the Freshman Fifteen, Dinner for One, Just Like Mom Makes, Food for the Masses, Party Food, Impressing Your Date, and Desserts.

If you want to try a few recipes before buying - let me know. I can end you some recipes from it.

Hope this helps!!

:)
    Erika

I would love to know some of the recipes if you're open to sharing!!! :)
  • queen3510
    Options
    I would love a few recipes as well. thank you