What keeps you motivated?

Options
I started MFP 1 week ago and I have some good days, and other days where I give in to my cravings and lose sight of my goals. I was just wondering what successful members do to motivate themselves to make good decisions, even when friends, family and co-workers are eating as they please? And any tips for finding energy to work out despite a long day of work and/or studying?

Replies

• mmadhani
    mmadhani Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For me, I tell my trainer, my dietician, my friends, and family my goals...so it becomes reality. Then I'm forced to live that reality. The more people I tell, the more accountability I have.

Plus myfitnesspal.com is a great tool for accountability. Calorie counting (and quality is awesome). My trainer says reaching your goals is 80% eating...and only 20% exercise. She's not the first nor the last to tell me that.

Good luck!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    The scales keep me motivated now I have hit my goal as well as the fitness on the longer bike rides (75 miles+)
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The sound of my Mother-in-Law's voice at Christmas as she "quietly" had a conversation with my husband about my weight and how it is going create health problems for me soon. 66 lbs and a half marathon later, it is still a powerful motivator, but so is the idea of seeing her this coming Christmas and making her jaw hit the floor! Mind you, now I find the extra energy I have is motivator all its own.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My wife, my coworkers, MFP friends and myself, I want to look and feel better and know that ultimately it will be me that has to do it.
  • texancountess
    Options
    The way I feel keeps me motivated. The day I stepped onto a scale and saw an irrefutable number that I didn't like truly encapsulated one of the worst feelings about myself that I've ever felt. The victory that I've felt with every success (eating smaller portions, going to the gym, picking the healthy option) has boosted my confidence way back up. The sense of accomplishment that comes from seeing the number on the scale get smaller is also indefinably awesome.

Really though? You have to find what works for you and not have it be based on anyone or anything but yourself.

As to getting to the gym, cane you go earlier? I know when I was in college/grad school that if I didn't go earlier in the day that I wouldn't go. I lived in Houston, TX at the time and still made the choice to jog after classes before going home for the day (midmorning most days) so that I would get my exercise in. Otherwise? Get something you can do at home that won't take long (like the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Micheals) and just make yourself do it.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Three things...

1) Myself
    2) My best friend
    3) MFP
    4) Half marathon

1) I don't get a lot of support from friends or family, so I rely on myself. I know how much better I feel when I do well, and how bad I feel when I give in, like last night. Also, seeing pics of myself over time, or trying on clothes in stores and liking what I see in the mirror.
    2) We go to school 4 hours away and miss each other like crazy, but she is my partner for the half marathon, and when we're home we workout and eat well together, as well as vent about our bad days and binges.
    3) Everyone this site is AMAZING!
    4) I am running one in January for charity.

As far as long days of work/studying...working out makes me feel better!

:)
  • keithdimarco
    keithdimarco Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself daily (too many fluctuations) and now do a once a week weigh-in. Losing weight, & Pants size is one form of motivation that works for me. No longer being a borderline diabetic and continuing to work towards being free from cholesterol & blood pressure medications is a strong motivator. Not being embarrassed to go to the beach next summer is my ultimate motivation!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    For me it's not motivation anymore. It's just my life!!! I do not need motivation to brush my teeths or to take a shower. For me fitness is the same thing. A part of my life
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    You're gonna go thru all sorts of ups, downs and plateaus. For me my friends on MFP motivate me and also just the slightest loss of weight (even a few ounces) makes me happy and keeps me going in the right direction.

Good luck with your journey:)
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    For me it's not motivation anymore. It's just my life!!! I do not need motivation to brush my teeths or to take a shower. For me fitness is the same thing. A part of my life
    ^^This is a great statement, so true !! :)