Eating Through Monthly Cycle is Killer Hard

I've only been on MFP for 2 weeks and was doing fantastic until I hit my first road block. My monthly cycle came up and I felt physically battered...headaches/migraines, exhaustion, needing to feel comforted, etc. We all know the drill. It's hard enough for me to eat healthy when everything's going well in my world. But cooking when I feel like crap is just asking too much. I didn't go out buying pizza and ice cream but I did go over my calorie goal every day. I don't think I saw a vegetable for 4 days. I knew I was on the slippery slope down when I decided to eat popcorn for lunch on the first day.
I read a report about why we seek comfort food when distressed and was surprised to learn that carbs trigger seratonin production in the brain. Seratonin makes us feel good. So I had my gluten free bagel pizzas but I didn't really feel better, just heavy.
Now as I'm winding out of my cycle and back into the kitchen, I can see what a difference my cycle makes to my diet. When I've had a few unhealthy days of eating I give up for a few weeks. Then I try again, then I fail, then I give up. My monthly cycle has always been a trigger for failure because I just want to give up and eat what ever is convenient and comforting. I can see how important it is to do the best I can and wait for it to pass. And get back on the road when it's over.
Most importantly, I've noticed how I abandon vegetables when things get rough. They require time and thinking and standing in the kitchen and cleaning. Carbs require no such committment. They are friends with benefits. I can have my way with them and walk away.
Today I'm in the kitchen making some vegetable dishes for the week and I had sauteed spinach for lunch and a boca burger for lunch. The tide has turned and I'm not giving up! Next month, I'll be more aware of what's going on. MFP has really helped me see the patterns in my eating.