The food database on this site

Options
I just added a food to my database for the first time, and noticed I have the option to make the food available for others to use. Is that how the food database was built, i.e., by individuals entering their own info?

If so, have other users found that the nutritional info for foods in the database is accurate, for the most part?

Replies

• _Pepper_
    _Pepper_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just added a food to my database for the first time, and noticed I have the option to make the food available for others to use. Is that how the food database was built, i.e., by individuals entering their own info?

If so, have other users found that the nutritional info for foods in the database is accurate, for the most part?
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is how the database has grown.
    It seems to be fairly accurate, but it never hurts to double check the numbers, and you can edit them if you see an error.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I agree, often when I've tried a new food, I'll take the box to the computer to log it, but it will already be in there.

The database is correct 99% of the time. I've only had one significant correction and it was a result of the person thinking that the package was one serving when it was actually two.

Also, there is a place to correct or confirm the data for each food if you go into the nutrional info section. That will ensure the integrety of the data continues.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I agree that it is good to double check...I have had a few oopsie moments when recording my food. I will often check the packaging to double check...sometimes you might notice the same food, but several entries. I have noticed that there is a difference in calories...also there is sometimes a difference in similar food brands yet different countries (Canada vs. USA)...there can be slight variations in calories per serving.
    Cheers,
    A.
    (Thanks for the cofirm data tip...I will check that next time I notice a discrepancy)