Do I use up my extra calories or not?

Options
I've got all difference answers on this question...

For example, if I use up my whole 1200 calories and then burn off 300/400 with exercise. It will then say that I have 300/400 calories left... So, do I used them up or do I leave them? Some people say I should use them up so I hit my calorie goal and some say to leave them??

Which is the best to do for weight loss?

x

Replies

• SaundraU
    Options
    My nutritionist did not advise on eating up the calories I gained through exercise completely - she said maybe eat 100 of them - but to many and she said you are just wasting the extra calories you are gaining towards weight loss.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, use 'em, if not... leave 'em . Listening to your body is generally the best policy.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    IMO If you don't have a great amount to lose you should not go under 1200 calories too often...anyone eating healthily and exercising can lose weight on 1200-1500 calories.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Not sure what is best for you, but I eat them back and I have been losing weight. I also eat more than 1200 calories so eating them back really should not change how much you lose. Just my opinion.
  • conniemacsweeney
    Options
    well personally I'd say don't use them coz you could end up eating loads. Eat regularly and your metabolism wont slow down and as long as you aren't lacking energy or nutrients it doesn't really matter. You'll lose weight faster if you don't but if you're really hungry and need a treat on one of those days then give it a go!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

All shall be answered.
  • ccckwalk
    Options
    I eat back half of my exercise calories. My body seems to be happier and loses consistantly when I do this. Good luck!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist did not advise on eating up the calories I gained through exercise completely - she said maybe eat 100 of them - but to many and she said you are just wasting the extra calories you are gaining towards weight loss.

Nutritionist is NOT a protected term. I could legally start a business TOMORROW and call myself a nutritionist. DIETITIAN is the term you're looking for when taking food advice.

Your nutritionist is only right if you're not using a system like MFP that works off of NET calories.

EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES.

:)
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I usually eat some, but not all of them back. It really depends on if I'm hungry or not. When I get to a plateau then I'll eat more of them back to help break through it.
  • Kitiara47
    Options
    Definitely listen to your body if you need to eat them or not. Also, the best way to learn what is right for you is to experiment. Eat back all you exercise cals for a week or 2, then don't eat them back for another couple of weeks, and maybe throw in eating back only some. See what works for you. If you have that patience, I know I don't! :laugh: Your body will tell you if you need the extra calories or not. Now if you're burning more around 1000 or so, your body will most likely need some of those calories back in healthy food. Everyone's body is different, so you just need to figure out what yours wants. :smile:
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, use 'em, if not... leave 'em . Listening to your body is generally the best policy.

This is the soundest response to this question I have yet seen.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

I have to disagree. This logic is the reason many have ended up here battling there weight in the first place. Diet, mental health, physical heath, medical conditions and even how we have treated our bodies in the past will all have an effect on how trustworthy our bodies really are. Sure, in a perfect world listening to our bodies would be enough....but as we all know, the world is far from perfect and our own bodies are not always a trustworthy source on their own.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options

I have to disagree. This logic is the reason many have ended up here battling there weight in the first place. Diet, mental health, physical heath, medical conditions and even how we have treated our bodies in the past will all have an effect on how trustworthy our bodies really are. Sure, in a perfect world listening to our bodies would be enough....but as we all know, the world is far from perfect and our own bodies are not always a trustworthy source on their own.

Seriously. Listening to my body led me to stuff my face for a decade. I have a broken satiety meter or some crap. I'm willing to bet MOST of us do. I'm still ravenous 90% of the time and I've been dieting for 8 months now. If I listened to my body I'd still be a proper Jabba.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

Seriously. Listening to my body led me to stuff my face for a decade. I have a broken satiety meter or some crap. I'm willing to bet MOST of us do. I'm still ravenous 90% of the time and I've been dieting for 8 months now. If I listened to my body I'd still be a proper Jabba.

haha I feel ya girl...I feel ya.