No Grains

Options
My dr wants me to cut out all grains! I'm a vegetarian and a CARB ADDICT...does anyone have any idea how I can begin cutting this food out of my diet? Where I can find recipes, etc?

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason your doctor wants you to cut out all grains?
  • shellybsn
    shellybsn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Why cut out all grains??? Celiac or diabetes...there's still some you can have. Just wondering?
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Legumes? Indian cuisine has some great chickpea crisps and breads. And there's daal (lentils). Perhaps an Indian cook book and cook to taste?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I suggest lots of veggies with your meat, eggs, legumes (beans, lentils, etc). You can start right away by not eating bread, pasta, pastry, things like that. When I cut down on grains I just ate what I normally would, leaving out the grain part (bread, pasta etc). Or since I'm not totally restricted from grains, I'll opt for rye bread or multi whole grains.
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My doctor calls it her "Prescription pad diet" she writes on a prescription pad: "No grains, no sugar, no white potatoes".

I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd son and family history of Type 2 diabetes and heart problems. I also had a rare condition with both of my pregnancies called postpartum cardiomyopathy. These put me in congestive heart failure at 35 and 40. Each time I have come back completely to normal heart function, but it does put me at higher risk of heart problems as I get older.

So anyway, I've mostly cut out sugar and white potatoes, and when I do have bread, pasta etc, i make sure its whole grain, but would still like to see what would happen if I cut it out completely. I just need to make sure I can stay satisfied or I know I will end up doing it for a week or so then "fall off the wagon" big time!
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor also practices Nutrition Response Testing. She has an organic, whole food supplement.. I think it's called glycemax, or something like that... that levels out your blood sugar. Once your blood sugar levels out, the cravings go away. I'm going to get some next week when hubby gets paid!!

I'm also cutting out all grains. Going to try to start this week.

God bless!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    It sounds similar to a low glycemic index diet. Maybe look into what's entailed there?