0 calories but 15 carbs??

Options
2»

Replies

• amjolst
    Options
    It shouldn't be possible, since 1g carb = 4 calories.

But, here's the thing: FDA allows food companies to label a product as 0 calories if it had less than 5 calories PER serving. I'm guessing that has something to do with the carbs. But if you've been drinking this water and haven't had any problem, then don't worry about it. Apparently splenda has 4 calories per packet, but I never count those and haven't had a problem. Some people don't count creamer in their coffee or sticks of gum either. It's such a negligible amount. It really doesn't matter.

This.

I had the same moment of "What the heck?!" when I had a Kroger Vitamin Water the other day... exact same situation.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    It shouldn't be possible, since 1g carb = 4 calories.

But, here's the thing: FDA allows food companies to label a product as 0 calories if it had less than 5 calories PER serving. I'm guessing that has something to do with the carbs. But if you've been drinking this water and haven't had any problem, then don't worry about it. Apparently splenda has 4 calories per packet, but I never count those and haven't had a problem. Some people don't count creamer in their coffee or sticks of gum either. It's such a negligible amount. It really doesn't matter.

This.

I had the same moment of "What the heck?!" when I had a Kroger Vitamin Water the other day... exact same situation.
    Grrrr!!!
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    When I first started here a little over a month ago, I was drinking the Sobe lifewater everyday, but I wasn't drinking it full strength..... I was adding just a little to my water to flavor it. ( I love the pear ) but as I kept adding it to my food, I wanted to use those carbs. in other areas. I watch not only my calories, I watch my fiber, carbs, and protein, as well as my fat. I try REALLY REALLY hard to balance all those out on a daily basis ( and not always successful in the fiber and protein, but I am o.k. w/ that.) The Sobe out of my diet isn't missed........I just get my crushed ice, dribble some "realemon" juice on the ice, fill it up w/ water and not only does it flavor my water, it is good in other ways, as well. I like having those carbs for my fruits..... they are doozies but needed.