ideal weight??

JJLM
JJLM Posts: 48
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
what is a healthy way to decide your goal weight? I would love to be SKINNY but i don't know if its realistic or healthy

I am currently 5'7" and 166lbs which is *overweight* and would love to be 136. reasonable or not?

Replies

• JJLM
    JJLM Posts: 48
    what is a healthy way to decide your goal weight? I would love to be SKINNY but i don't know if its realistic or healthy

I am currently 5'7" and 166lbs which is *overweight* and would love to be 136. reasonable or not?
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    According to this sites BMI calculator, 136 is healthy for your height. 118 and below is where you begin to be underweight. :flowerforyou:
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member

Try this site :happy: :

(Credit to shorerider) http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Find a BMI calculator and see what it says....

Try losing 10% of your body weight, then another 10% until you look and feel healthy....

A number is just a number, slow and steady seems to be the mantra here, an judging from the folks who have had success it seems to work.
    That's my 2cents worth, best of luck on your journey!
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Every person is different and you can not always go by the charts.
    You need to go to what feels right for you.

For me, I am 5'8" and 170lbs, but I am at 21% bodyfat and a size 8. That's because I am fairly muscular. I want to stay between 165 and 170. I am still striving to get below 20% bodyfat. According to the charts, my BMI is still in the overweight category, though I know I am not there due to my actual bodyfat reading.

Good luck!!!!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member

For me, I am 5'8" and 170lbs, but I am at 21% bodyfat and a size 8. That's because I am fairly muscular. I want to stay between 165 and 170. I am still striving to get below 20% bodyfat. According to the charts, my BMI is still in the overweight category, though I know I am not there due to my actual bodyfat reading.

Good luck!!!!!

First I have to say CONGRATS! you really are an example of what hard work can do! You have really transformed your body and that shows that all of us can.

This is exactly why none of us should get to hung up on the numbers. BMI is deceiving when you have muscle. SGFyinHi is a great example of that. Not just looking at charts or the scale.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    my ideal weight is between 142-156.
    But, I really think it's different for each person, and age is a big factor.

When I get to my goal weight, I'll see how I feel. I may maintain when I get there or lose a few more. Who knows...I'll let you know when I get there. :wink:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Hi

I really think everyone is different and carry their weight differently (also depends how much muscle you have)
    I started here at 157 (5 6') and my goal was 135ish
    Once i got to 135 I decided to loose a few more and pretty much decided to maintain once i hit 128-130
    I usually fluctuate up/down 2 pounds...I'm usually a size 4/6
    I think what's important is finding a weight that you are comfy at and can maintain w/ out feeling hungry/deprived etc

Good luck with your weight loose!
    Kim
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    I've been struggling with this same question of what my ideal weight should be. I've done the research and found out that ideally I should lose about 15-20 more pounds to be between 135-145. I think it's difficult to put a number on it until you are within a few pounds of looking the way you want. So, instead of doing the big countdown to 130 lbs, I've decided to do the countdown in intervals of 5lbs. So, lose 5 lbs, start working towards the next 5 and so on until I'm comfortable. I have a wide body frame and lots of excess skin around my tummy that I'm waiting on a tummy tuck for, so I'm not sure what's going to look good on me until I get closer. Whatever the number is, I hope I get there soon! hehe
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member

Good luck!!!!!

First I have to say CONGRATS! you really are an example of what hard work can do! You have really transformed your body and that shows that all of us can.

This is exactly why none of us should get to hung up on the numbers. BMI is deceiving when you have muscle. SGFyinHi is a great example of that. Not just looking at charts or the scale.

Thanks. I lost 90lbs in 1 year. It was hard work, but well worth it.

I just checked one site & it said my ideal weight is 147, or I should be between 125 and 160. I know for me that if I tried to make my 'ideal' weight, I would not look or feel right. People now are telling me I'm too thin. :bigsmile:
  • I am going to school to be a personal trainer now and I found out some really interesting facts. You shoudl really go my the percentage of body fat. A BMI should be used for overweight or obese people with a sedatary lifestyle. Ideally women should aim to have 15% body fat. See if you can get a reading somewhere.

For instance right now I carry 140 lbs of lean body mass, which is more than many people weigh, or that a BMI calculator wold tell me at 5'5" is my ideal weight. Realistically an "ideal" weight for me would be 160 to 165. At that I would be carrying 12 to 15% body fat. This is the most acurate, realistic measurement available.

If you are athletic at all, rest easy you care much more muscle mass than the average American. Feel great about yourself!
  • What I did was look at different charts to see what would be a healthy range for my height and from there decided on what would make ME happy.
This discussion has been closed.