1st 5K in 2 weeks!

Options
So, I've run the distance on my treadmill with no problem... My concern is that nearly ALL my running has been on the treadmill. I'm going to get out and run in "real life" in the next 2 weeks but any tips for me? I'm so excited to do this!

Replies

• areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think that if you can do it on a treadmill, you'll be fine. I've been running for years and the biggest difference is the surface that you'll be running on. You can do it!!!
  • ZakWray
    ZakWray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Tip: perhaps increase the incline/gradient on your treadmill to 0.5-1.0 so that it's slightly more intense, similar to outdoors.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'd get out and run some outside. As other posters have noted it is a different surface... a treadmill is a surface the pushes you along and sets the pace for you. Basically you are running on a spinning belt and the speed of that belt doesn't change. Roads and Trails don't do this for you. It leads to a different stride.

Your best bet would be to get a few practice runs outside just so that you know what to expect. Usually, when I run half marathons or 10K's I like to run the course ahead of time to help me visualize race day. Maybe give this some thought in terms of preparation.

Have a Great Run!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm like you--most of my early training was all on treadmills. Switching it up and running outside definitely takes some getting used to. I still use the treadmill when I'm in a hurry or I need to run later at night when it's dark.

Try to keep your pace even when running outside--unless you wear a Garmin or some other device that helps you pace yourself, this takes some getting used to when you're not able to see the treadmill readouts...

Good luck in your 5k and feel free to friend me, I love talking to other runners ;)

~Ellen~
  • mrrodriguez
    Options
    Just wanted to congratulate you on the preparation you needed to do for this. So happy for you. If you get used to running outside taper down the last day or two before the run. Please keep us advised about how it goes. Friend me if you like :)
  • tastigger
    Options
    Good luck - I am sure you will do fine! I agree with other posters - I have never run on a treadmill & do all my training outside. The temp, inclines, wind, noise, etc will be different so it will be good to get outside for a few runs. Can't wait to hear how you do!
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't wait to do this! I know I should get outside and run more but being a single mom and working full time the treadmill in my living room has been a life saver! Gonna do my best to get out before the race but either way it's gonna be quite the accomplishment for me!