returning to the Marine I once was

grunt0321
grunt0321 Posts: 4
When I first joind the Marine Corps I was in really good physical shape. I 'am still in the military but I have gone to the Army National Guard. I have lost alot of the self discipline that I once had when I was in the Corps. In the National Guard it is mainly on the individual to keep and maintain their own personal physical fitness. I however felt that the good marine name would follow me into the guard. When I first joined the National Guard I was 30 years old and weighed about 160 pounds. Five months after joining the Guard I shipped off to Iraq for the fourth time. That deployment was alot different then the deployments that I went on with the Marine Corps. I packed on an extra 25 to 30 pounds when I was there. So long story short I have been on this program for a while now but I 'am having a hard time dropping below 190 pounds. My goal is 175 to 170 pounds. I just need to get that discipline back in me.

Replies

• I believe in you baby! You can do it, and you are always a Marine to me!
    My Marine!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Welcome! Thanks for your service. This site is AMAZING!
  • Good luck on your journey and Thank you for serving our wonderful country. Marines are bad *kitten* :smile: my favorite man in uniform!!
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    First I forgive you for going to the Army National Guard. Second a Marine of 12 years here trying to do the same. Add me man Semper FI.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Congratulations for taking the plunge and joining this wonderful site! :) Also, thank you so much for your service to our Country :)
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    You can do it! I was in the Air Force for 11 years and well within my weight limit! UNTIL I got out! Then the discipline went away and the pounds packed on and on and on! They stayed on for several years until one day, January 2010, when the day finally came that I knew I just had to change! I have followed this, very closely, for 20 months, counted calories, and exercised, and have lost 120 pounds just by being very diligent to MFP. As a marine, and still as a guard member, you have learned discipline. Use that discipline, follow MFP, exercise, (like I know Marines know how to do), and it will happen!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    One word: Insanity. It'll take you back to those days of crazy workouts...without the crazy Chief.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 854 Member
    Thank you for your service. :drinker: My son was in Iraq as well..he is on this stie and has lost almost 40#. Great site, lots of support. I know you'll do well. Good luck!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Ugh I 'm active duty Navy and I feel your pain. I joined at nearly 28 and am finding it hard to get this 15 to 20 lbs off, that I 've gained since joining and keep it off. Keep at it. I see the Marines around here workingout all the time and just watching how hard they workout gives me focus to realize it can be done, no matter my work hours or how I feel. So I suppose I'm trying to get to and maintain the sailor I should be. Good luck to you.
  • Thank you for serving our country! Also, I really hope this site benefits you greatly! :)
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    I'm sure you know well how to work out but sometimes we need a trainer or someone to follow... I found my way with P90X it is an awesome workout. Different workout daily only repeated weekly... it works well.
  • I have also heard great things about P90X, I agree that you should get it!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Semper Fi and WELCOME from one former Marine to another! I can totally relate to the guard transition being a shock; I LMFAO at my husband's "gay *kitten* beret" from his first day in the COARNG ARG program until they did away with it recently. The mentality is SOoOo different, I'd swear my husband still nearly has an aneurism just even relating some of the (laid-back) differences. You guys really are diamonds in the rough and that inherent cockiness we all have is a real sore point for the "guard-babies". But hey, he always ends up the informal PMI, go fig and gets deferred to quite frequently for a whole range of things. We really did luck-out though, we made fast friends with other COARNG ARG & WW-Types that are also former Marines, Rangers & Special-Ops types that are more our speed socially.

(my husband and I met while he drowned my *kitten* repeatedly and maliciously as he was a Trainer for my MCIWS course, asked me out to his unit's Birthday Ball the day after I graduated 2nd in the 60%+ attrition-rate barely co-Ed class. I was just thrilled to finally be able to rock a dress to one of those instead of my Blues. Nice to feel like a lady after having to hold my own as a 5831 in Lejeune's all-male brig for so long.)

The mentality never really leaves you, EVER. I still made sure my baby-weight from my civilian pregnancy came off as quick as my 2 active-duty ones. Thanks to MFP, I finally beat my best active-duty body-fat % of 19% (hehe, barely... not bad though for being medically retired for 5+ years!). I still try to ensure I'm well within the weight standards even though I technically don't have to.

So yeah, I TOTALLY understand. Feel free to send a friend request. There's also a pretty big group of us who all pretty much friended each other on this thread too...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/253236-calling-all-active-duty-veterans-and-really-motivated-depe?hl=Calling+all+active
  • thanx for the link, I will let him know!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    thanx for the link, I will let him know!

Dependents are welcome there too, so come check it out as well =)
This discussion has been closed.