To mini or not to mini? (Marathon, that is!)

Options
So I've really gotten into running in a short time. I started in late June, have one 5K under my belt, will be doing a trail run just under 8 miles on October 1 and at least one more 5K in October, and would like to take on one more or a 10K in November/December if I can find races near me. I'm starting to think long-term as I'd really like to try a couple of minis and then a full-blown marathon eventually. From the perspective of seasoned runners, how can you tell when you're ready to take on the training regimen for your first mini? Is there a max % body fat, minimum weekly distance run, or another metric that is useful to decide when to make the leap? (I'm not deciding to start now; as I said, this is long-term thinking...and I'm a biologist, so I need something quantitative to hang my hat on. Just my personality.) Thanks in advance for any input. Cheers!

Replies

• meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it is that if you're running 15-20 miles per week, you'll be able to successfully complete a HM training program without risking injury. Cool running has a great training routine that I plan to use once I get to the point where I can run 5 days a week without a day off in between.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml
  • fbuschur
    Options
    To begin training, you should be able to run a consecutive 5 miles. That's it. I like Hal Higdon's novice program for a first marathon. In 18 weeks it works you up from a week of 3-3-3 on weekdays and a 5 mile weekend longrun, to the hardest training week which is 5-10-5 with a long run of 18 miles. you have 2 rest days and a cross training day each week. google it, it's a free program to follow. I know big and small runners who have completed it, I don't think there is a magic body fat number, etc. you can use your 5k pace as a time predictor (google that too) to give you something to shoot for, although my marathons were always a lot slower than my 5k pace would have "predicted"
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't have any good answers, but try joining this thread. There's more seasoned runners: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332590-half-marathon-training-support-group
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half marathon August 21st. It was awesome. I followed a half marathon schedule from marathonrookie.com. I started it not really knowing if I was ready as I was just coming off of over 2 years of illness/injury that had suddenly halted my marathon training. I had been running just a couple days a week when I started the training schedule at week 5. Several people thought I was crazy for even trying it so soon after getting back into running, especially "seasoned" runners, but I did it and so can you. I finished the race in 2 hours and 31 minutes. Not a great time but, but I was thrilled to have gotten it under my belt and over half the people running came in after me!
    This is the link to the schedule.
    http://www.marathonrookie.com/mini-marathon-training.html
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Looks like great advice! I'll check the links posted. Thanks so much... There is some tentative interest in trying the mini tied to the Indy 500 next May (family in the area want me and wife to run with them) but I'm not sure how well I'll be able to train over-winter here in Reno. I appreciate the input to get me started! :smile: