Any ladies with endometriosis...

Options
Wondering if anyone has had the surgery... and if so... how long was your recovery time??
Doc says I can go to work the next day but it could be 4-6 weeks before I can dance or run after mine (end of this month) and I'm wondering if that's accurate. I'm preparing for a late-November marathon and am trying to figure out how much mileage I need to build up before hand based on how many weeks I can count on to run in Oct/Nov.

Thanks!

Replies

• ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the type of surgery. I had a robotic partial hysterectomy, and was back to feeling great within about 2 weeks. The first few days were rough, and i was sore, but I could work and take care of my kids. If they have to cut you open, you'll be down for the full 6 weeks and then some, possibly. But, laproscopic/robotic means much quicker recovery. I've had both!
  • bds23
    Options
    I had the lapriscopic surgery, to burn off the endometriosis last October. The healing time wasnt too bad, about a week and a half and I was ok to due my normal everyday routine. I didnt workout for about two and a half weeks and when I did start, I started off slow then progressively got more vigorous. I hope this helps, good luck!!!
  • valguthrie2915
    Options
    I assume you are having laproscopic surgery? I had laproscopic surgery 4 times for my stage four endometriosis. If you can have your surgery on a Friday so you have the weekend to recover. You can go back to work the next day but you will be uncomfortable. Depending on what type of work you do. You will need to wear loose clothing for awhile and expect some swelling and bloating of the abdomen. The incision on my belly button was the most uncomfortable. If you have any questions regarding this let me know I am an expert when it comes to endometriosis I struggled with it for years before I ultimately ended up having to have a hysterectomy at age 31. Another tip get some Gas X they fill your abdomen with air and they try to remove as much of it as possible but they cannot get it all out. Gas X was my best friend. Also move as much as you possibly can the more you move the faster the gas will desperse and the quicker the soreness will work out. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. Good luch!! Val
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've had two different surgeries. The first was a full hip-to-hip incision that started off as laparoscopy. They removed an orange-sized endometrioma. It took me a good year and a half to recover from because I ended up with problems with my scar tissue developing painful keloids. I couldn't even wear pants with a button or zipper for about 8-10 months!

The second surgery was a laparoscopy and I was back to work in two weeks. Not recovered, mind you, but back to work, anyway. I think it was about a month and I was back to running.
  • RaeMe
    RaeMe Posts: 11
    Options
    It depends both upon the type of surgery, and what the doctor actually does. If it is a laparoscopic surgery just to diagnose and the surgeon doesn't actually remove anything, then I could see you going back to work the next day or running/dancing in a week or two. But the more that your doctor actually ends up removing, the more healing will have to take place, and the longer before you can run.

I had surgery twice, and the first time I thought it was no big deal and pushed myself to go about my days almost normally, just more slowly. It took me almost two months to feel fully recovered. The next time I took 4 days off of work (including the surgery day) and made myself stay on bed rest for 3 days. I was back on the elliptical a few days after that and probably could have started running 2 weeks after the surgery, but since my recovery was going so much better I wanted to be careful to not repeat my mistake from the first time, so I didn't run for about a month.

Good luck!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I assume it will be laproscopic-- I've had 2 others but this is the first for endo. I know he's planning on removing stuff but he also said something about my bladder. Not sure how much exploring he's planning on doing. I'm a little discouraged at the multiple surgeries some of you have had to have-- I want it to be done with!!
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Another tip - I'd find a tight fitting girdle-like thing to wear for a few days after. I felt like my insided were going to fall out (best way I can explain it!) for the 3 or 4 days after. Haveing a little pressure on the incisions really helped with that! If doesn't have to be a girdle, exactly, but just something that supporst and "holds in" your stomach a little. It'll also be helpful when you do get back to exercising. I wore mine a lot at first, then slowly worked out of it.

Everyone is different though, and i've seen gals post that they wore loose-fitting clothes. or couldn't wear button pants after. So, just be prepared for anything! I've had a total of 14 surgeries (for endo and PCOS), so I've got a whole arsenal of tricks!

Good luck to you, and I wish you a speedy recovery!
  • anna2709
    Options
    Hi
    It depends what the doc will do, as others have said.
    I had laparascopic surgery for diagnosis in 2004, it was just before Christmas so I took the full 2 weeks to recover and was glad I did as I ended up with an infection in the scar.
    In 2005 (I was 35) I had a full abdominal hysterectomy, everything was removed. I was off work for an initial 6 weeks but as I worked in education this was right before the long summer holidays, so took this extra time to recover too.
    If you do have the full abdominal surgery, then no driving for minimum 6 weeks, no bending, stretching etc (even something as simple as vacuuming or taking laundry out of the machine is a no-no) for about 2/3 weeks, you will really need to take it easy or you can do damage to the abdominal muscles if they have been cut through and are trying to heal.
    Your doctor should be able to guide you as to how long your recovery will take.
    I wish you well, let us know how you are doing
    xx
  • meli_medina
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I assume it will be laproscopic-- I've had 2 others but this is the first for endo. I know he's planning on removing stuff but he also said something about my bladder. Not sure how much exploring he's planning on doing. I'm a little discouraged at the multiple surgeries some of you have had to have-- I want it to be done with!!

My last laparoscopy, my doctor was convinced I would end up with a hysterectomy within 2 years. I'm going on 2 years now and my endo has actually been scaled back from stage 4 to stage 0, so it's possible. Two surgeries plus two rounds of depo lupron following the surgeries plus changing my diet for 3 years to reduce the amount of hormones I was digesting really helped. I now live normally, no special diet, and even TOM has gotten better. It all just depends on your doctor and your treatment.
  • sonrie1017
    Options
    Just found this topic...

I have endo starge 4 as well. I have been through laparatomy (full abdominal surg), lupron, etc.

Melissa_w, can you talk more about your process of starting the special diet, then your process of knowing how/when/why to stop the special diet to a more normal diet? I'm curious. Thanks for any help!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sonrie1017... not sure if you've found it yet but there's a group on here now too for ladies with endo
  • meli_medina
    Options
    Just found this topic...

I have endo starge 4 as well. I have been through laparatomy (full abdominal surg), lupron, etc.

Melissa_w, can you talk more about your process of starting the special diet, then your process of knowing how/when/why to stop the special diet to a more normal diet? I'm curious. Thanks for any help!

I cut out one thing every other week or so. I started with red meat, then pasta, then bread, etc. It took about maybe 2-3 months before I was fully on the diet, but my symptoms reduced exponentially with each thing I eliminated. The last thing to go for me was caffeine, and as I was reducing things, I started to cut back on it, too. I was drinking something like 2-3 20oz Diet Mt Dew's per day, so going cold turkey was not something I was interested in.

I was symptom-free for about maybe 1.5 years before I decided to try to add stuff back to my diet. I did the same thing, adding one thing back every 10-14 days, starting first with red meat, and working my way across the board. I waited so long in between to make sure symptoms didn't recur (they do if I eat a large amount of soy, so I stay away from soy as much as possible, though small amounts don't affect me, also the same with caffeine - anything more than a cup of coffee can really affect me, but I try to limit my intake to 1 6oz cup per day - I drank decaf while I was following the diet). I stopped it just because I got sick of beans, quinoa, and rice. I obviously ate more than that, but it was a huge part of my diet, and after 3 years of limited choices and having to abstain from treats when we went out with friends or something, I was ready to give it a shot again.

There are some ladies who I've met who have never been able to eliminate their symptoms completely, but with the diet they were able to substantially reduce them. Good luck! I hope it works for you!