Rice and Beans Recipes Please!

Options
I am looking for any and all rice and beans, lentils and rice, legumes and rice of any sort . . . What do you eat in a combination of rice, beans, beans and rice, or legumes and rice . . .

Please forward any recipes, links, ideas, and suggestions! Thanks!

Replies

• SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/03/crockpot-smoky-refried-bean-soup-recipe.html

I use that but add brown rice instead of corn. Some celery and red bell peppers are nice too. I cook brown rice and add it about 1 hour before it is done cooking.

Also, she has a LOT of easy crock pot recipes for bean dishes, many of wish are easy to eat on top of rice, or add rice to before serving. My crock pot is my best friend for having hot nutritious meals at the end of the day instead of picking something up.
  • mbissey
    Options
    If you like indian food, I made this recipe (with a few tweaks to reduce fat and heat) a couple days ago. I eat it with brown rice.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/wolfgang-puck/dal-recipe/index.html

Oh..it says 4-6 servings, but for my family, it's 10-15 servings depending on who is eating it.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't even know where to start! LOL Try Manjula's Kitchen for some tasty Indian food. Also, just look up many Indian food dishes.

For dinner tonight I made burritos in whole wheat tortillas. I took refried beans and added in kidney and pinto beans. then I sauteed some garlic, mushrooms, onions, peppers, cumin, and coriander in a pan. I added this to the bean mixture and then added some brown basmati rice to it. Mixed it all up, added some red peppers and jalopenos and then rolled into tortilla. Some people like to add cheese, but I'm trying to cut it out. It was just as good. I did sprinkle a bit on top while I baked them at 400 degree for 30 minutes lightly covered. DELISH! :)

Also bean salads with red peppers and cilantro! SO GOOD!

I have made red kidney bean patties before! :)

Hmmm, I dunno. I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but Indian is my favorite! :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love rice!!!!! We grew up eating pinto beans on top of rice.....or blackeyed peas on top of rice..or gravey on top of rice. Around this part of the world, everyone eats rice for breakfast....with sugar and milk...not us....rice is a dinner food served under just about anything!!!!
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, rice and cinnamon and a bit of agave for me with almond milk! SO GOOD! :)

Ooooh, and I love rice with Green Goddess dressing! LOL Not a lot, but it tastes like Bernaise sauce to me! :) buttery... delish!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My favourite. Mixed bean and brown rice salad. Serves four. One cup uncooked brown rice, cooked. I can five bean mix, drained. Punnet cherry tomatos, halved. One sliced red onion. 1 cup sliced cooked green beans. 1 cup chopped parsley. 1 tablespoon dijon or wholegrain mustard. Two tablespoons white wine vinegar. Four tablespoons olive oil. Add together! Yum. About 400 calories 1 huge serving or stretch it to 6 or have it as a side serving. Yummy
  • rhodesar
    rhodesar Posts: 43 Member
    Options