Just curious about the surgery,

Replies

• zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    Just curious about the surgery,
  • x2tgibso
    Options
    I have a friend that has had it. Her procedure was done about a year ago. She's only lost about 40 pounds so not a dramatic affect but she'll continue to lose.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've heard that more people gain all the weight back than "the industry" wants you to believe...
  • x2tgibso
    Options
    I've heard that too. I know several people that have had the gastric bypass and (so far) been able to keep it off but the side effects - more emotional - than physical were awful. The lapband doesn't seem to be as bad but you lose the weight really slowly so a lot of people get discouraged.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I think whatever it takes to become healthy as long as healthy habits are made along the way or actually BEFORE the surgery have a much better chance of keeping any weight off..

I myself never opted for surgeries, I chose to change my habits instead and go the long road...have never regretted it!!! But there are some folks here on MFP that have gone that route, I see a post from time to time... you might try doing a search on 'weighloss surgeries'.

I think many folks gain back from quick losses albiet surgeries or fad diets because they don't learn HOW to eat healthy food, portion control, the importance of excercise while doing it etc

I think some have been successful with the surgeries but it's such a new one (lap band) most insurance companies won't even pay for it yet from what others have shared on here...so the cost plus the speed of dropping the weight that fast...WHOA gotta be a huge emotional mess... least I would be, I've lost it in a healthy way, have a nutrionist, therapist (tee hee..for many things.lol) and still my head spins at the lbs lost on my ticker.... I just can't take it all in ...everything takes time... and time is what I got!!:bigsmile: Hopefully it'll be one day soon that I can look at before pics of me and see I look different...:laugh: :blushing: :sad: :bigsmile: :huh: :noway: :flowerforyou:
  • lovesanirishman
    Options
    My friend is having the surgery on Tuesday, and I'm just scared for her. I know that everyone should do what they feel is best in their weight loss journey, but I've known her for more than 20 years now and she has never changed her habits. I'm afraid this will be another attempt for her to lose weight without really having to work at it. My fear for her has actually spurred me on to try harder myself.
  • Vqueen
    Vqueen Posts: 13
    Options
    I personally have the LAPBAND and so far I love it granted I've only been banded since 12/4/08
    I will say that there is a lot of misinformation about it the lapband:grumble: is NOT new! its been around for over twenty years, it can not be compared to gastric bypass because it is adjustable and therefor you cannot stretch your pouch like you can with bypass , You CAN eat around your lapband so you have to be READY and INFORMED when you make this decision, there are foods you will NEVER EVER get to eat for the rest of your life!! It is slower weight loss than any other surgery but healthier....its also the safest surgery over other's.......Mine and many other insurece pay for lap band but be prepared to jump through hoops and prove that your a good canidate.....T his is NOT the easy way out....This is hard....I can only eat 1/2 a cup of food per meal so I have to make sure I'm eating good food ,I have to count calories,protein,fat,carbs.....while my body is satisfied its my head hunger that you have to work through just like any other diet .....If you want more accurate info go to a place like LAPBANDTALK.COM .......also EVERONE has a friend WHO....fill in the blank....get the facts and speak to people who actually have the band or any other surgery..
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I personally know 3 people that had gastic surgery, 2 lost a ton of weight, and have gained most of it all back and the other actually lost her life (sad). Just 3 reasons why I wouldn't even think twice about any type of weight loss surgery.

Do it the good old fashion way.....heathy diet and exercise

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had lap band on June 23, 2008. I've lost 30 lbs so far. But the nurse who does my fills says that I must be eating too much because I'm losing too slowly. She told me to join this site.

Does anyone want to form a team/online support group for lap banders?

:glasses:

Also: My mother had gastric bypass about 26 years ago. She still looks great. But I decided that was too drastic for me.
  • BIGGRAMMA
    BIGGRAMMA Posts: 2,273
    Options
    I have not had it....My son considered it..but decided to try to lose on his own first....So on his 49th birthday the end of March after having a serious health scare...he decided to do what his mom does...no fast food...practicing portion control.... Well long story short....he started at 383 and as of a week ago he is down over 100 pounds....I am so proud of him...I know this probably does not belong in this thread but I just thought I would share that....:flowerforyou:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I have not had it....My son considered it..but decided to try to lose on his own first....So on his birthday the end of March after having a serious health scare...he decided to do what his mom does...no fast food...practicing portion control.... Well long story short....he started at 383 and as of a week ago he is down over 100 pounds....I am so proud of him...I know this probably does not belong in this thread but I just thought I would share that....:flowerforyou:

I think that is wonderful...he is doing it the healthy way and not going under the knife.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I have not had it....My son considered it..but decided to try to lose on his own first....So on his 49th birthday the end of March after having a serious health scare...he decided to do what his mom does...no fast food...practicing portion control.... Well long story short....he started at 383 and as of a week ago he is down over 100 pounds....I am so proud of him...I know this probably does not belong in this thread but I just thought I would share that....:flowerforyou:
    WOW - I haven't kept up with you lately :blushing:

I knew your son was watching his weight but hadn't realized he'd lost so much!!! Congratulations to him :happy:
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider any kind of weight loss surgery until exhausting all other options. I've never tried diet pills or fad diets. But I have made many serious attempts at healthy weight loss. Over the past 12 years, I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on Weight Watchers, dietitians, doctors, personal trainers, exercise programs, etc. I have had 2 pregnancies with gestational diabetes. I ate healthy, low fat, low carb foods, avoided junk food, exercised regularly, but still, the weight just wouldn't come off.

With a BMI right at 40 on my 40 birthday, I decided to investigate the lap band procedure. I knew that I didn't want to have gastric bypass, because 1.) My mother had it 25+ years ago. Although she successfully lost weight quickly and has kept it off, I didn't want to have a non-reversable surgery. 2.) I wanted to have a much slower weight loss to keep it a secret from coworkers, friends, neighbors, and extended family. I wanted the band just as a tool to help curb my appetite, since the quality of my foods was not my problem, but the portion size. 3.) The band is removable, with surgery. And it is completely adjustable for life. Adjustments ("fills") are quick and painless.

It's been about 7 months since my surgery. I've lost 30+ lbs so far. I exercise regularly and feeling good. Many people have commented on my weight loss, but apparently, no one suspects my surgery. My sister only found out because she saw my scars when we shared a hotel room together recently. My nurse thinks I'm losing too slow and suggested that I join this site, but I'm happy with my progress. At least I know that I'll never gain it ALL back.

I wouldn't recommend this surgery to anyone who hasn't tried all other healthy options. It is not an easy solution. The surgery was difficult. I couldn't get out of bed for at least 5 days. The band is not easy to deal with. Foods are easily stuck in my esophagus which is painful. You have to train yourself to eat very slowly and chew your food endlessly or food will get stuck. You still have to watch what you eat and drink: no milkshakes, no juice, no sodas. Carbonated beverages are intolerable. And you may never be able to enjoy even some of your favorite healthy food choices ever again because of the difficulty in swallowing.

I am one of those people who used to think that surgery is for lazy people. I thought that everyone should be able to do it the good old fashion way with diet and exercise. But as a 41 year old mom of a 2 year old, and a family medical history full of weight related deaths and diseases, I decided that I needed this surgical aid to help me achieve my goals so I can live a long and healthy life with my DH and kids.