What's the rule for how long before bed you eat DINNER?

Options
I've heard people say that this doesn't matter, but, for me, I remember shedding weight by eating the same things, but never anything later than 5pm (I took three meals to work with me). It's harder for me to do that, now, so I am wondering what other people found. I don't expect it to matter if I have a yogurt, or something, closer to bed, but how far away from bedtime should a complete, square meal be consumed?

I'd like to know what other people have found?

Replies

• caitlinmottl
    Options
    It is helpful to eat dinner between 2-3 hours before bed, so that you fall asleep easier. sometimes i find that a small snack before bed is helpful if my tummy is rumbling tho
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't eat less than 2 hours before bed and if I have to have a small snack then it's a yogurt or berries for dessert...my problem was eating before bed and I was having silent reflux while I was sleeping and getting severe burns in my throats from it
  • hoosiermama1977
    Options
    for me it really is whenever I want. I consume most of my food in the evening and so far no problems. I try to just always make sure I have a little something for breakfast and don't skip meals/snacks altogether but most of my food comes from our late dinner - it's our only meal together as a family and a lot of thought and planning goes into it as well as bonding...it's an important one to me but sometimes with the kids activities and stuff it has to be pushed late. It's never mattered when I eat as much as how much and what :) Of course as someone mentioned - if you have acid reflux or problems sleeping at night it makes sense to give yourself some digestive time. So far I've luckily not had those issues.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner 4 or 5 hours before bed. But I usually eat my 6th meal within a 1/2 hour of bed.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Do what works for YOU and your schedule.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter, it's personal preference and not only that but you can eat what you want too (assuming you stay in a caloric deficit if you want to lose weight)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I eat within an hour of sleeping a lot of the time because of the way my life works, and it hasn't stuffed up my loss/maintenance. Do what works for you.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I always eat right before I go to bed. Always. If I don't, I will wake up in the middle of the night hungry and will likely make a bad choice on what to eat while half asleep.

Do what works for YOU.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i will not eat after 7.00pm if i am hungry i go to bed early!! lol

but try not to have anything after dinner(5.00 pm)
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes a difference from a weight loss point of view, but I wouldn't want to be eating a big meal just before sleeping (unless it was a mid afternoon nap!)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Do what suits you. I believe it's a myth that eating late stops you losing weight. I think a "rule" about when to stop eating is a good idea if you tend to snack/binge in the evenings or if you find it uncomfortable to go to sleep with a full belly.
    In physiological terms your body isn't going to process the food differently, it's not going to suddenly convert everything to fat.
    Relax, and find a routine that suits your lifestyle, you'll be fine.
  • tiggerfan
    Options
    i will not eat after 7.00pm if i am hungry i go to bed early!! lol

but try not to have anything after dinner(5.00 pm)

I'm exactly the same Trud72, I'm often going to bed straight after I put my youngest to bed,
  • mitchypoo777
    Options
    I think of how my body works and I know it's hard for my night time body to process food so I try not to eat after 7 pm, which gives me 3-4 hours before bedtime. No matter what you eat your body has to process it and my internal fire burns more efficiently earlier in the day.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the rules; I'm a rebel! LOL!! Seriously though, I have not noticed a difference at all in my weight loss/ maintenace no matter what time I eat. I think some people it affects, but I do not seem to be one of those. Do what works for you.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. You have to process your food before you can burn off the calories, so going to sleep after eating isn't going to make any difference. In fact, a small carby snack a little before bed can help you sleep and I know I sure can't sleep when I'm hungry. Then I'm tired the next morning which leads to eating unhealthy food... so yeah, if you're hungry, EAT!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I love eating a lot of food right before I go to sleep. It's all about the daily calorie intake for me. Regardless of what people tell me, I've never had a problem doing that.