Alternatives to push ups?

Options
Hi Guys,

I was keen to get in the ring with Jillian for the 30 day shred, but need some ideas as to what I can do in place of push-ups to work the same muscle group. I broke my wrist about 5 weeks ago by falling on an outstretched hand (same hand position as a push up) and while my plaster is already off, the bone is still quite week and the doctor has advised another 5 weeks until its "push-up ready". (and three months before i can go back to Muai Thai!! oh no...)

The thing is I am inspired right now to get going with the workout (all your success stories from this forum have me fired up!!) and would hate to have a small excuse like this hold be back from getting on with things. Could someone suggest an exercise I could do in place of push-ups which would work the same muscle group and doesn't require me to place to much weight/pressure on my wrist?

Alternatively I can just do the workout and keep doing the exercise before the push-ups for an extra step - that just means that the push-up muscle group misses out.

All suggestions welcome!!

Thanks,
Lauren

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    hand weights doing a chest-press (lie on your back).

but i'm no expert!!!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you can do standing rows. they'll work your lats but not your chest as much but at least you're getting some of the benefits.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Either knee push-ups or chest presses. With chest presses you won't get the same core workout as push-ups, but otherwise they should do in a pinch.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    30DS may not be a great choice right now then. The workouts are great but I did level 2 for the first time tonight and there were a lot of plank moves.
  • runs_to_eat
    runs_to_eat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I attached a couple of hooks to my wall and use bands to do the push up motion, still recovering from elbow surgery and have had no issues so far, easily max myself out