WOO HOO Purple!

Options
I just finished logging my food and exercise for the day. I'm way under calories and sodium. Go me!!! I feel great after my bike ride, except for the sore butt.
How did everybody else do on day 2?

Replies

• TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I just finished logging my food and exercise for the day. I'm way under calories and sodium. Go me!!! I feel great after my bike ride, except for the sore butt.
    How did everybody else do on day 2?
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I haven't had supper yet but I have 506 calories to go so it will be a light supper. No exercise except for crunches and 5 pushups! I have had 7 glasses of water so far. I am getting there!!
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    I actually chugged all my water at work because I don't like the water at home. But since I was off yesterday, I added 2 cups of water today to make up for it a bit. I think that really helped stay under calories.
    I really want to keep it up!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i didn't exercise because i'm sick and having trouble breathing, but i stayed in my calories. day 2 no binging woot
  • renae77
    Options
    I hate drinking water but for 6 whole days I have drank nothing but water and coffee. I have had the amount I am supposed to have every day but one and I was close. I think I had a few sips of a sweet tea one day too. Other than that I think I did really well!:tongue:
  • renae77
    Options
    i didn't exercise because i'm sick and having trouble breathing, but i stayed in my calories. day 2 no binging woot
    Way to go!!! :drinker: Keep it up and hope you feel better soon!!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! :drinker: Keep it up and hope you feel better soon!!

aww thanks! i hope i feel better too. i really want to keep doing the 30 day shred :happy:
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    I think the water is going to be the hardest part. I drink a cup of coffee in the morning, and other than that it's water. The problem is that once I get home, I drink some of my husband's pepsi without even thinking. I'm having to catch that.
  • renae77
    Options
    I am a big fan of soft drinks! :devil: Thats what they are!! But I haven't touched one!:bigsmile: My hubby brought one in here the other day and I never ever touched it! Any other time I would have swallowed it down in a heartbeat!:drinker: :drinker: Here's to water!
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    I posted this in the regular section but nobody responded....so here goes:

Why would the daily target counter increase when we exercise? i thought we were supposed to stay under the original target goal, say 1200 calories, and exercise more on top of that. If I increase calories after exercise, isn't that defeating the purpose?
  • renae77
    Options
    I don't know....everyone said to eat your exercise calories. it's supposed to make you lose weight better I guess. something to do with the calories are already set up for you to lose weight.
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    So since I just did that time on the bike, I have to go find something to eat? even if I'm finally not hungry?
  • renae77
    Options
    I guess so. that is what they all said was to eat your exercise calories or eat most of them.
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    Well I'm off to the fridge then!!!
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    lol even though im not in the purple team this made me chuckle. i dont understand that either. but if your not hungry i wouldn't eat. i haven't been eating all my calories but im just not hungry. i wouldn't force it
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    I haven't left yet..... Nothing I want. Not gonna push it, especially at 8 o clock
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    I found this from the creator of the site.....

Hi apojones,

We calculate net calories as:

Net calories = Calories consumed - Calories burned from exercise

So, for example, if your net calorie target is 1500, and you burn 300 calories from exercise that day, you should actually eat about 1800 calories to meet your net calorie target for that day.

Your body can go into starvation mode if you are not eating enough calories per day. We don't recommend going below 1200 calories per day because of this.

Hope that helps!

And this from someone else:

OK, this will be long. Please read it if you are confused. Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or a doctor, just a successful loser and maintainer, who has consulted both doctors and dieticians.

Question #1:

Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

Question #2:
    I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
    Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Question #3:
    I'm doing "everything right" and the scale won't move.

Answer #1: The scale is the devil. Step away from the scale. Buy a tape measure, notice how your clothes are (probably) fitting better. Muscle is more dense than fat, and takes up less space on your body. More muscle on your body will make the scale freeze or (gasp) move upward.

Answer #2: You're not being honest. In order for this to work, you must record every morsel of food that goes in your body. Also, if you ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes and barely break a sweat and can still chatter on your cell phone (OK, that's my personal gym pet peeve) then you're probably not working "vigorously". Don't overestimate your exercise calories. (this was a big mistake I made in the past.)

Answer #3: Your body might be re-adjusting. How you feel is the most important mark of progress. It's very easy to fixate on numbers, but feeling better really should be its own reward.

Question #4:
    So, if I'm eating my exercise calories, what's the point of exercise?

Answer: (warning: extremely opinionated answer ahead)
    You don't. You can lose weight through diet alone. But, then you will be skinny and flabby. Is a model skinnier than me? OH, YES! Is she healthier than me? probably NOT. She couldn't survive the hour-long spin class that I take three times a week. Trust me. Her skin is a mess, she smokes, and she looks like crap in person. (this is a generalization. I don't hate models, but this is their lifestyle. . .I used to be a "dresser" at shows, and I saw a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.

Does that help? Please say it does.
    Edited by viviakay on Thu 02/21/08 08:24 AM