My skin sucks

SuperScrabbleGirl
SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
edited October 2 in Chit-Chat
So, for the past 6 months ish, my skin (which used to be totally fine, very rarely had spots etc), has been really bad. I figured that drinking loads more water over the past couple of months would have helped, but it hasn't. So, aside from diet stuff, what are your top skin tips? Good brands, home remedies, any suggestions welcome.

p.s. My diet is already pretty good. I eat loads of fruit and veg, stay away from processed stuff (mostly).

Replies

• Davelh1976
    Davelh1976 Posts: 140 Member
    It might have something to do with a food allegry? i would monitor different types of foods and see if any changes helped.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    There could be something in your diet that's a mild irritant. I usually have really good skin, but once I cut out the caffeine that I used to consume daily (tea), I noticed that my face broke out a little more. It might have also been from the increase in physical activity. With all the sweating, perhaps the pores aren't remaining as clear as before. Continue to drink loads of water. I believe my skin is beginning to adapt now.
  • it could be down to your body detoxing and all the water flushing out the bad stuff!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    What do you mean by "bad"? Zits? Red spots?
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    oil cleansing method....ive been doing it and IT WORKSSSSS......

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    I never really get spots but I do get little dry patches and sometimes it looks a little sad. I use Vitamin E from The Body Shop and it's the only thing that really works on my skin and doesn't give me hives or makes my face tight! My diet change and introduction of more water has helped but vitamin E is really good for your skin :smile:
  • I am a FIRM believer that the NUMBER ONE reason for skin break outs is STRESS. Make sure you are taking time out of schedule to relax and not think about anything. I dont do meditation or anything, but i make sure I give myself time to just relax and float in a pool or hot tub every so often. Aside from that you are doing great with the water, adding in some fruits and such helps too. I always try to drink cranberry, grape, or other really powerful fruit juices to help flush toxins as well. Hope you find whats right for you! Good Luck!
  • Skin is a secondary organ of detoxification. If your liver, kidneys and lungs cannot detox you then your excess toxins are released through your skin. Thus, skin eruptions like acne, chronic fungus or viral infections are usually the sign that there is too much of something(s) within you.
    Your job is to figure out what that might be.
    The most common toxin is acid. People with skin problems usually are suffering in acidosis.
    Acidosis is caused by two things: diet and stress.
    Fix that and you'll fix most skin problems!
    Good luck!
    Dr. Ken George, DC
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    I totally agree with the stress factor. I also use the oil cleansing method, and my skin is always super soft and smooth, I do still get zits sometimes, but it's always due to stressful situations. If my mother calls me from where she ran away to live with her internet bf, I'm guaranteed to have one or two the next morning.
    The water should help detoxify your skin
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Same thing happened to me, I now use Proactive :-)
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    I do have psoriasis (never on my face) which really has cleared up. I believe this is down to the water and the better diet. Also that does inflame with stress.

I'll definitely give the Vitamin E cream a go.

Obviously I have a natural aversion to putting oil on my skin, but I'll give it a go!
    What do you mean by "bad"? Zits? Red spots?

Yeah... it's patchy, really noticeable pores on my nose, spots. Urgh, sounds gross even writing it.
  • kittyminxx
    kittyminxx Posts: 14 Member
    Baby Oil, you just can't go wrong with it.
    I started using it after showering, after swimming, cos my skin started to itch and was getting tight from all the chlorine.
    Worked like a miracle!
    Be careful getting out of the shower though, I've never fallen getting out of the shower, but had a few close squeaks!
    You only need a tiny bit and it spreads all over really easily when you're still wet.
    Then dry off as normal with a towel (you don't want to be like 'greased up deaf guy!' lol)

Now I use it after every shower, splodge some in my bath and after shaving it's a great skin soother.
    Just be careful with your hair, if you use it in the bath wash your hair afterwards or it will look like you haven't washed your hair all year!
    And wash your hands after applying to your bod.
    If you touch your hair (when drying it) with even a trace of baby oil on your fingers your hair will look really greasy.

I do try other stuff every now and then but they just don't seem to soften my skin as much as simple baby oil does and now there's aloe vera baby oil.

I do get comments on how soft my skin is - but maybe thats just people trying to find something nice to say to chunky me.
    I may have nice skin but theres too much of it! LOL :)
  • lemonychick
    lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
    Bumping this, really interested in this oil-cleansing thing - What is that exactly???

Time of the month has an effect on us ladies (I don't even have a womb anymore and I still get the odd spot when my hormones go all crazy!)

Keep drinking loads of water, that's a must for good skin too, and make sure you're not lacking in protein.

Boots do a great one-a-day supplement called "Hair, Skin and Nails" - It's got loads of fabulous things in it.

Will be back later to read and educate myself! :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.