calories

Options
how many calories should you be eating each day to LOSE!! I am an office worker and this program says 1200 / day but that seems soooo high. I just want to do awesome!! I know its gonna take time. Any tips would be welcome. this is only day 2 for me. so I am kind of a newbee on here. :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just out of interest how many calories did you used to eat, before you wanted to lose weight?
  • Jade1x
    Jade1x Posts: 166
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, 1,200 is the same amount as me set to lose weight because if you think about it we are allowed 2,00 calories aday so we are losing 800calories aday and i think you have to cut down on 500 calories per day to lose weight so hopfully we'll see results soon! x
  • Jade1x
    Jade1x Posts: 166
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, 1,200 is the same amount as me set to lose weight because if you think about it we are allowed 2,00 calories aday so we are losing 800calories aday and i think you have to cut down on 500 calories per day to lose weight so hopfully we'll see results soon! x

I could be totally wrong lol
  • martinh78
    Options
    just out of interest how many calories did you used to eat, before you wanted to lose weight?

^^^^^^^
  • OooLaurenooO
    OooLaurenooO Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    1,200kcals is about average.

Im an office worker and thats what i have, but ocationally i have 900-1000 depending on what im eating. (i have 3meals a day inc snacks sometimes.)
    Try is and make sure you eat healthy and exercise, even if its just a walk thats still good enough.

Good luck! :happy:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I only had 1200 calories. I have a sedentary lifestyle and had no trouble losing. Now that I am maintaining I have 1400.:drinker:
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't high, 1200 is the minimum recommended calories a woman should be eating a day. Many people find they need to eat more than that.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    When I was losing I only had 1200 calories. I have a sedentary lifestyle and had no trouble losing. Now that I am maintaining I have 1400.:drinker:

u only have 1400 to maintain?! have u tried eating more?
  • daisy0482
    daisy0482 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was eating wrong so it was probably HIGH!!! Not sure?? actually....
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I get 1200 per day. I don't think it's very much. HA.. probably why I gained weight in the first place. 1200 calories per day is a great place to start. I am sure you have read (or heard) if you eat less, your body will go into a starvation mode.. and think it needs to store fat for survival. So, make sure you are eating enough and excercising :)
  • dls06
    Options

Not too much more. As I said I live a sedentary lifestyle so If I eat more I will gain. I have educated myself about healthy eating.
    I eat a lot of food, just not much processed or fast food. When I do I try to make it as healthy as I can so it doesn't ruin my day.
    I'm not saying I don't ever have a bad day, but It's only at a party or special occassion. Even then I am aware, because when I do, I get sick to my stomach because I am not use to eating that way.
    My Daughter is getting Married this saturday so I will over eat and drink, I'm sure.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Before I found MFP, I started keeping a food diary (which I've since logged on here) but even having cut out sweets and chocolate, by totting up the cals I could see that I was eating way too much. Lots of really wholesome foods... just in ridiculously large portions :laugh:

That's what really helped knock this change of life plan on its head. Understanding how much I used to eat, compared to what I eat now... and because I haven't radically changed the types of foods I eat... just eat less of them... it doens't feel like I'm missing out.

In fact, quite the opposite has happened and I find now that I cannot face big platefuls or having multi-layered breakfast/brunches. I keep it simple and I keep it light.

I also regularly eat more fruit than I used to,and I'm also a LOT more active. I'm no gym bunnie and I can't run for toffee, but I walk more than I used to and I have a bike now and that really sweeps the cobwebs away.

I know find that I regularly dip below the 1200kc min although some days I'll eat almost all of my set cals as well as most of my exercise cals too. It's not an exact science and I think your body tells you when it's hungry rather than your stomach.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Not too much more. As I said I live a sedentary lifestyle so If I eat more I will gain. I have educated myself about healthy eating.
    I eat a lot of food, just not much processed or fast food. When I do I try to make it as healthy as I can so it doesn't ruin my day.
    I'm not saying I don't ever have a bad day, but It's only at a party or special occassion. Even then I am aware, because when I do, I get sick to my stomach because I am not use to eating that way.
    My Daughter is getting Married this saturday so I will over eat and drink, I'm sure.

I wasnt being critical, i was just wondering as i am maintaining, and i too maintained on 1400, but then when i ate more i discovered that i also maintain on 1500, 1600 and now 1700 cals per day, and i just figure, if i can eat more, i may as well!

Have a fantastic day saturday!! x
  • dls06
    Options

I wasnt being critical, i was just wondering as i am maintaining, and i too maintained on 1400, but then when i ate more i discovered that i also maintain on 1500, 1600 and now 1700 cals per day, and i just figure, if i can eat more, i may as well!

Have a fantastic day saturday!! x
    Thank you. I know you were just asking. I am affraid to go up too much because of my age (55) My body doesn't burn the way it use to. If you are younger your body will be able to handle more calories without gaining. But only go up a little at a time. Do it for a week or so and see if you gain. If not raise it a little more untill you see the scale move. Then back off and do what you were doing the week before.