OATMEAL

Options
PRO-CONS OF OATMEAL

I am thinking about changing to oatmeal instead of my normal everyday protin shake... pro/cons ideas

GO!

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any cons. I eat oatmeal almost daily, and LOVE it! Delicious, filling, nutritious. :bigsmile:
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i love oatmeal. i eat a sugar free version and i love it. i eat it for breakfst and even snacks on occasion for only 100 calories and it keeps me full
  • mmildice
    Options
    i'm not sure of any pros or cons but i eat oatmeal almost everyday. it keeps me feeling full a lot longer than anything else that i've tried.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Pros,
    - will keep you full longer
    - is more natural (assuming you are not going to do flavored instant stuff)
    - good source of fiber

Cons,
    - Lack of protein (you can add a scoop or 1/2 of protein powder
    - Takes longer than the shake
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I've been eating steel cut oats. I have to cook them the day before because they take so long but they warm up nice in the microwave, I added blueberries this morning with a little brown sugar splenda and it was AWESOME. I cook enough at one time for 4 or 5 days. They keep well in the fridge. I eat two scrambled eggs whites and whole egg to beef up the protein.
  • trailriderdee
    Options
    At work we do the old fashioned oats with a scoop of protein in it instead of the old usual brown sugar. Max Muscle Triple Whey Chocolate, and a teaspoon of creamy peanut butter make a tasty healthy bowl of oats!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    +1, but I have oatmeal and a protein shake in the morning.

Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    try to use steel cut oats of quick oats instead of instant oats if you can. Takes longer to cook but much more nutritious. I get that it's not always possible.. but if you can opt for the less processed ones and the ones that don't come with salt already added. Also be sure to add some nuts or seeds so you get your protein in :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. Yummy :happy:
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    funny- I'm eating myu oatmeal now. I can't think of any cons- fills me up, tastes good (I add dreid cranberries,, walnuts and cinnamon, oatmilk, a little salt and agave to mine). Great for fiber. Just don't do the packaged stuff. I used QUaker for the weekday when I gotta get out the door so I can eat it at my desk @ work. I like my protein shakes for later in the evening for dinner. Hope this helps.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I agree with Eric.. but my question is why do you want to change if what you are doing seems to be working just fine for you?
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Pro one day I make it and its great Con the next time I make it i can use it as wall paper paste but either way its good for you
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

good advice!!! will do that tomorrow and see how it goes!!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Pros,
    - will keep you full longer
    - is more natural (assuming you are not going to do flavored instant stuff)
    - good source of fiber

Cons,
    - Takes longer than the shake

I think that oatmeal has lots of protein! 12 grams per cup.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Pros: Oatmeal keeps you full longer, Oatmeal tastes better when things are added to it

Cons: Its easy to lose yourself to all the flavors of oatmeal which increases your calorie count

From my understanding, it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you maintain your calorie count each day. When you're over your goal calories, you need to balance it out with exercise. So if Oatmeal floats your boat, so be it. Just don't lie to yourself or to your calorie counter, no body is watching your calorie counter but you.

Also, if you are drinking a protein shake daily, you have to exercise, that protein will turn to fat just as fast as anything else. In fact, a fat molecule is comprised of quite a bit of protein. So, without exercise, that protein becomes energy or fat, if not consumed by activity or your metabolism, it becomes fat. (Thanks biology class... lmao!)
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are drinking a protein shake daily, you have to exercise, that protein will turn to fat just as fast as anything else. In fact, a fat molecule is comprised of quite a bit of protein. So, without exercise, that protein becomes energy or fat, if not consumed by activity or your metabolism, it becomes fat. (Thanks biology class... lmao!)

thanks for the info. I didn't know that. I knew sugar and carbs did but not protein!
  • kaylynn54
    Options
    I add a little peanut butter to my oatmeal. LOVE IT!!!!!!
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I agree with Eric.. but my question is why do you want to change if what you are doing seems to be working just fine for you?

It is not that something is not working. I am really tired of protin shakes. I have the bad habit of eating the same food everyday - so I don't have to think or worry about my calories. This is habit ( read behavior) for me. I have had problems with an ED and I am trying to loose weight / maintaine in a healthy way.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options

thanks for the info. I didn't know that. I knew sugar and carbs did but not protein!

not a problem, trust me I usually workout everyday at 5am... so i am well in a deficet before my first meal
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day. I just use oats (you can't buy instant oats here), add water (at a ratio of 1:2 so 60g of oats and 120ml (g) of water), microwave for a minute. In the meantime I mash a banana (or half of a large one), mix and add 10g of peanut butter and some ground cinnamon. Mmmmmm.