Car "experts" - I have a question

Options
When is the best time to change your car's oil? It's a 2011 Acura TSX. It's driven on a daily basis to and from work, as well, as for random errands (work/personal). It's also driven on the highway (from Waco to San Antonio) on weekends. The weather's been in the 100s lately. No rain, so only dry/hot weather...

So, do I get the oil changed every 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, or 7,500 miles? Perhaps just wait until the oil light comes on?

When I looked online it says the recommended is 3,000 miles, however, with all these new synthetic oils and whatnot, I was leaning towards 5,000 miles. I just don't know though. With my 2004 Chevy Tahoe, I go every 5,000 miles - which is about right if I follow the little oil indicator thing that counts down from 100%. And I've never had a problem, my driving habits are about the same as those with the Acura, with the exception of the highway driving on weekends.

Replies

• Michelle9939
    Options
    Before they always said 3,000 miles but now it go longer. I think my car will be due for it's first oil change around 5,000 or 6,000 miles. I don't drive all that much. I have had this car since February and it has less than 3,000 miles on it.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until the oil light comes on. For most cars, 4,000-5,000 is fine. I used to change my truck's oil around 4-5k. The "3,000 recommendation" as universal as it is, isn't accurate.

Edit: in spite of not changing the oil until 5,000 miles, it is important to check the levels and add some if it is low.

(Been working on cars since I was 16, my dad restores cars for fun, dated a classic car mechanic for 5 years)
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Usually if you wait until the oil light comes on, it's far beyond when you should have it changed. I try to change mine every 3000 miles but sometimes it gets up to 5000. Always check it after 3000 though to make sure you aren't burning oil and are low. You may have to add a quart or so.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I don't go by every 3000 miles.. you can probably do double that, or 5,000 like you said.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I usually go until my change oil light comes on, which is about 3-4000 miles. 3000 miles is probably the best since your oil isn't getting too low yet.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i run mobil one extended milage with a good filter for 7-9k
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    in my experience the manual will tell you when you need to change your oil. 3000 miles is recommended for harsh use which includes lots of start/stop driving and hauling a load, with regular highway driving you can normally go in upwards of 6000+ miles. it just depends on what kind of drive you normally have and how harsh you are on the vehicle. i would say that normally 5000 to 6000 is a good number as long as you dont do too much punishment to the vehicle.

on a side note, if you dont drive the vehicle much you need to change it much more often than 3000 miles since oil will break down and degrade with age. and it is a good idea to regularly check your oil for color and level. you dont want it to get too low or too dark. and you definately dont want it to be white because that means that there is water getting into it.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Usually with newer cars they can go between 5-7k miles before a change

But you should look at your book so you dont have warranty issues by waiting to long to change it
  • clvdandj
    Options
    It will tell you in your cars manual how often is recommended for your vehicle. My husband always recommends every 3000 with or without the synthetic oils. (he works at an automotive shop) Dont wait until your light comes on because that comes on when your oil is low, not when it needs changed.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I am old fashioned and stick with 3000 miles.
    Cheapest motor job you will ever do.
  • Hattie2879
    Options
    I looked in the manual and it didn't specify. I'm thinking I'll probably just go with somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. :laugh: Better to err on the side of caution than to mess up the engine. Thanks for all the input everyone!! :smile: