I'm Hungry...

Options
2»

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the responses, but have you tried making sure you're eating a protien, carb, and fiber at every meal/snack? I really try to make sure I get all three, even just a few bites, because it helps me feel full for so much longer.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in the 6 small meals a day. Number one, because I feel our stomachs need a break and "fasting" between meals helps my mind stay clear, allowing more circulation to other parts of my body other than my digestive organs. Also, to me, not being able to sit down to a (portion-controlled, healthy) meal is a deprivation that I do not feel is necessary. When my family sits around the dinner table, I want to eat with them, not nibble on some apples and peanut butter. As mentioned before, if you have balanced meals (protein, non-refined carbs, fiber, fat) then you will feel fuller longer. That being said, sometimes I am more hungry some days and I do probably average about 1 snack a day.

While this might work for you, I don't know of any respected nutritionalist who would support the idea of restricting the number of meals solely to improve ciculation and give your stomach a rest. The "diverted" energy required to digest a snack is going to be neglible at best, and the benefit in the increase of metabolism far outweighs these concerns for the vast majority of people - especially those looking to lose large amounts of weight.

With respect, just because something is currently fashionable within the nutrition world does not make it good. You mentioned "restricting the number of meals," but in my view, three good meals a day is not a restriction. And because those meals are larger than the mini-meals that others may eat six times a day, I'm not restricting myself calorie or nutrition-wise. And because I exercise and build muscle with the help of adequate calories and good nutrition, I am increasing my body's resting metabolic rate. The six meals/day is not as widely accepted as many think.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_250/285_metabolism-myths.html
    http://doubleyourgains.com/the-6-meals-a-day-myth
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in the 6 small meals a day. Number one, because I feel our stomachs need a break and "fasting" between meals helps my mind stay clear, allowing more circulation to other parts of my body other than my digestive organs. Also, to me, not being able to sit down to a (portion-controlled, healthy) meal is a deprivation that I do not feel is necessary. When my family sits around the dinner table, I want to eat with them, not nibble on some apples and peanut butter. As mentioned before, if you have balanced meals (protein, non-refined carbs, fiber, fat) then you will feel fuller longer. That being said, sometimes I am more hungry some days and I do probably average about 1 snack a day.

While this might work for you, I don't know of any respected nutritionalist who would support the idea of restricting the number of meals solely to improve ciculation and give your stomach a rest. The "diverted" energy required to digest a snack is going to be neglible at best, and the benefit in the increase of metabolism far outweighs these concerns for the vast majority of people - especially those looking to lose large amounts of weight.

With respect, just because something is currently fashionable within the nutrition world does not make it good. You mentioned "restricting the number of meals," but in my view, three good meals a day is not a restriction. And because those meals are larger than the mini-meals that others may eat six times a day, I'm not restricting myself calorie or nutrition-wise. And because I exercise and build muscle with the help of adequate calories and good nutrition, I am increasing my body's resting metabolic rate. The six meals/day is not as widely accepted as many think.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_250/285_metabolism-myths.html
    http://doubleyourgains.com/the-6-meals-a-day-myth

With respect also, you have shown NOTHING fact based to prove that frequent smaller meals are bad for an individual.

This isn't just about increasing your metabolism, it's about maintaining your energy levels and metabolism at a fairly even rate throughout the whole day. Even your first link brings up this benefit. Rather than have three distinct yo-yo increases in your metabolism after only three meals, it makes sense to break up your meals through the whole day to maintain your metabolism at a constant rate, while at the same time addressing the issue of feeling hungry.

The whole point of this topic by the OP is to address hunger - limiting yourself to just three meals in no way addresses their issue....frequent smaller meals do.