Healthy Eating when Sick

Options
Over the weekend I got a pretty nasty cold. I had planned to exercise, but I just had no energy, so I didn't do it.

I'd like to know who continues to follow a reduced calorie plan while sick, and who eats more than that?

I decided to listen to my body and eat what I was craving, as I've read that the body needs extra fuel when you're sick. I didn't go all out and binge or anything....I ate a little more than usual, and had a bagel that I've been craving, and drank lots of orange juice. (I always crave orange juice when I'm sick.)

So I know I went over my calories, but I think maybe my body needed those extra calories.

What do you do when you're sick?

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Your immune system certainly uses a lot of energy to fight infection, so I see no problem in eating a bit more! The OJ was most likely a help too.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick like cough cough aachoo sick I drink loads of sugar free koolaid or lite orange juice... plenty of fluids. I don't eat anything differently though. If I'm barfy sick I usually don't eat much of anything and just drink all my calories, even if they don't always stay inside my body for very long...
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend I got a pretty nasty cold. I had planned to exercise, but I just had no energy, so I didn't do it.

I'd like to know who continues to follow a reduced calorie plan while sick, and who eats more than that?

I decided to listen to my body and eat what I was craving, as I've read that the body needs extra fuel when you're sick. I didn't go all out and binge or anything....I ate a little more than usual, and had a bagel that I've been craving, and drank lots of orange juice. (I always crave orange juice when I'm sick.)

So I know I went over my calories, but I think maybe my body needed those extra calories.

Are you kidding Me! Who eats UN-HEALTHY when they are sick? And a Cold or Flu REALLY calls for eating Well (Right/Clean.) I actually eat less and very clean when I am ill and STAY Very Hydrated! How can the Body heal when it is trying to digest a bunch of "JUNK"...Refined Carbs, Additives, High Sodium, Bad Fats...
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Are you kidding Me! Who eats UN-HEALTHY when they are sick? And a Cold or Flu REALLY calls for eating Well (Right/Clean.) I actually eat less and very clean when I am ill and STAY Very Hydrated! How can the Body heal when it is trying to digest a bunch of "JUNK"...Refined Carbs, Additives, High Sodium, Bad Fats...

Are you referring to me? I didn't eat unhealthy while I was sick; I actually ate a lot of healthy, nutrient dense foods. Yeah, I had a bagel, so shoot me.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just don't eat when I'm sick. If I do it's like rice, chicken broth, oranges. Oh, and Emergen-C And that's kind of it. I def don't go over.

I also don't count the windex...I can't find the caloric value for it....