weight gain after lifting weights

It it just me or do the numbers on the scale go up for everyone following a weighted leg workout, or free weights?
Sure it should go up a pound or two, right??!! I go up a couple pounds and then some. On my run days I drop a few even after drinking water and sports drinks.
Whats up with that? LOL . My clothes still fit and all is well but I was just wondering.

Replies

• BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    When you lift your body retains water and sends it to the muscles along with other things to help them heal.

It is also the reason you are sore the day after. Your body causes inflammation in the area that causes pain. It's your body's way of telling you, hey I need a rest.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Here's what a personal trainer told me- When you lift weights, your muscles get microscopic tears. While you rest, your body retains water which helps the muscles repair and build, which makes them stronger.

I always gain 1 pound or so after a good weight-lifting session. Then in a day or so, I drop that weight and then some. Pretty normal I think :)
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Totally normal. Inflamation will do that .It sound bad but it is good and you didn't gained fat.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Here's what a personal trainer told me- When you lift weights, your muscles get microscopic tears. While you rest, your body retains water which helps the muscles repair and build, which makes them stronger.

I always gain 1 pound or so after a good weight-lifting session. Then in a day or so, I drop that weight and then some. Pretty normal I think :)
    thanks so much this is a cute way of explaining it! YOU GUYS ROCK!!
  • Sarahbara76
    When you lift your body retains water and sends it to the muscles along with other things to help them heal.

It is also the reason you are sore the day after. Your body causes inflammation in the area that causes pain. It's your body's way of telling you, hey I need a rest.

AWESOME! Thanks so very helpful ;-)
  • Sarahbara76
    Totally normal. Inflamation will do that .It sound bad but it is good and you didn't gained fat.

I think I will look at it this way from now on ;-)

thanks for the wonderful answers, YOU GUYS RAWK!!