Lost My Best Friend...

Options
so, as many of you know, i had to put my dog to sleep very unexpectedly this weekend. i am devastated. lost. i do not know how i am going to pull through, to be honest.

mayer was the best dog. in every way possible. he really helped me to get though things that i thought would break me. if i didn't have him, i most likely would have done some pretty destructive things to myself. and i don't know that i would even be alive. and i think that even at the end, he waited until i knew i was in a healthier place. if this had happened even 3 months ago, i don't know that i would have been able to function. but that's the kind of dog he was. and i am going to try and pull it together for him. because if i let myself fall apart, then this loss will be even worse. i am really going to try to pull through it and six months from now, or a year from now, look back and say "that was the hardest thing i ever experienced, but i surprised myself with my strength" i am hoping. going home tonight to an empty house is going to rip my heart out all over again.

but i wanted to ask a favor. if you want to, and are able to- please make a donation to your favorite shelter or rescue group in mayer's memory. if a few dollars can help someone to find a dog like i did and save its life, it would mean a lot to me. i got mayer at my local shelter on whim, and it was the greatest decision i have ever made. my life is so much better because of him.

thanks!

HPIM0045.jpg

Replies

• Tuffjourney
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Mayer looked like a wonderful friend. Take time to grieve, the loss of a pet is indeed like losing your best friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :heart:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. :-(
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My heart and prayers go out to you. Mayer looks like he was truly loved.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I have 4 dogs and they are my best buddies. They are always happy to see you, willing to go on a walk and give so much love. Take care of yourself during this hard time. Sending you a big hug.

Bisky
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    so, as many of you know, i had to put my dog to sleep very unexpectedly this weekend. i am devastated. lost. i do not know how i am going to pull through, to be honest.

mayer was the best dog. in every way possible. he really helped me to get though things that i thought would break me. if i didn't have him, i most likely would have done some pretty destructive things to myself. and i don't know that i would even be alive. and i think that even at the end, he waited until i knew i was in a healthier place. if this had happened even 3 months ago, i don't know that i would have been able to function. but that's the kind of dog he was. and i am going to try and pull it together for him. because if i let myself fall apart, then this loss will be even worse. i am really going to try to pull through it and six months from now, or a year from now, look back and say "that was the hardest thing i ever experienced, but i surprised myself with my strength" i am hoping. going home tonight to an empty house is going to rip my heart out all over again.

So sorry to read about the lost of your best friend! :flowerforyou:

but i wanted to ask a favor. if you want to, and are able to- please make a donation to your favorite shelter or rescue group in mayer's memory. if a few dollars can help someone to find a dog like i did and save its life, it would mean a lot to me. i got mayer at my local shelter on whim, and it was the greatest decision i have ever made. my life is so much better because of him.

thanks!

HPIM0045.jpg
  • MrsPike07
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss! He would want you to be strong Momma, he wouldnt want you to fall apart. I am sure he is watching over you. I can't imagine how you feel....my heart breaks for you. <3 xoxoxo
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss :-( *hugs!*

Losing a pet is horrible pain. I recently had to put my cat, "baby," to sleep because she was very sick. She was my best friend. She was also a rescue. My family supports animal rescue and we contribute money to shelters.

My heart goes out to you during this difficult time
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. I remember losing 3 family members one year and could not shed a tear. I came home from work one night and was told they had to put my dog to sleep. Maybe she was the breaking point. But losing her was as tough as all the other passings that year, if not more.
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm definitly sending my thoughts to you. Every animal I have is adopted through our shelter, including our pit bull, that was going to be put down because of his breed. I am going to donate some money in mayer's memory.
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I also adopted a dog from our local shelter and he was the best dog, in Febuary he went missing, we looked and looked for him and never found him. We had him for 6 great years and he was like my child. He was deaf but very smart. I miss him everyday. Let yourself heal that is what he would want. Mayer looks like a kind soul and had a great life thanks to you! I will donate in his name and also in my dog Norman's name. Have a great day.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Tif - perfect! This is a great way to express your love -- as well as everyone else to express their love too. I am participating (as a volunteer & as a walker) in a 5k at the end of this month for a non-profit company called Merrick-Fund Foundation (merrick-fund.org). We (yes I've been a part of this for 3 years now) raise money for animals in shelters who need health care or operations... it's a tough gig because we don't want to take money from the SPCA or Humane Society or any other animal welfare groups, but we need to secure health for those that cannot afford it and for those that cannot help themselves!

Be well. Be strong. Be here. If you need more strength, private message me!
  • coachoster
    Options
    My deepest sympathy. Looking over at my little guy and realizing that he'll be gone someday. It helps me to think that my dog is the soul of someone from my life that I had lost. They come back to you and show you how much they loved you. When they are ready, they leave. This helps me, I hope it helps you.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    The loss of a pet is a hard loss. :frown:

So sorry. :brokenheart:
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about Mayer. Let the memories strenghten you.
  • rufflestx
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss. What a blessing for Mayer to have a good friend looking out for his best interest. Trusting you and you fulfilling his needs gave him the life he deserved, what a joy to know he had no reason to worry, because you were his master and friend. Grieve for your loss. Take time to read and reflect. I would like to think he is watching your success and prancing with pride along your road.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. Mayer seemed like a good dog! :brokenheart:

Hope this poem gives you a bit of comfort: http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are with you, just lost my little beagle about 2 months ago...I hope you find light soon♥
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. :brokenheart:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Best wishes.
  • Penelope_373
    Penelope_373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my girl, Keisha on Easter Sunday. It was very sudden, she was a healthy and strong five year old one minute and the next minute she was having an intense seisure, she never came out of it. The vet stayed with her the entire weekend and she peacefully passed Sunday afternoon. The vet is not sure what happened, but feels it may have been something metabolic that she was born with. I was heartbroken, as were my daughters,she joined our family when she was just 6 weeks old, along with her brother, Copper. We have missed her dearly. Alot of people don't understand, they think they are just pets....they are not, they are like our kids! They truly are our Best Friends. I didn't think I could ever find another dog that I could love even half as much as her, but I did. And he has really helped me through alot this summer. I wish you the best with getting through your loss and I hope you are able to find another Best Friend down the road when the time is right. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Monica:flowerforyou: