HELP! My foot's on FIRE!

Options
I've been walking 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day, since April. Usually for about 30 to 45 minutes at 3.5mph. In the last two weeks I have been getting this pain, kinda in the ball of my foot but only at the big toe. Like where the knuckle for the big toe is, and more towards the inside of my foot, not so much the bottom. It's only one foot and feels like it's on FIRE.
I've looked for an answer using MPF search option and google, but haven't found anything really gives me any answers.
So has anyone had this??? Any suggestions (yes if it continues I'm planning to go to the dr)? Thanks!!

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    How old are your sneakers?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    maybe you bruised the bone or broke something in there? I'd go see the Dr. Asap.
    New shoes?
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    How old are your sneakers?
    Just got them in April when I started walking, could I need new ones already????
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Is there any redness or swelling? Is it hot to the touch? Does the pain subside when you're off your feet?
  • pchann
    Options
    Where does your foot hurt? Top, bottom, toes, etc...
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Just got them in April when I started walking, could I need new ones already????

I'm on my second pair of shoes since April 10th! With as much as you're walking, it could be that you need new shoes already.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Wow! that's great dedication over the months. but consider taking a couple days off, and rub it down with alcohol assuming there is no broken skin. good luck, hope you feel better
  • zta1989
    zta1989 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had that in both of my feet for about 10 years or so due to the structure of my feet. Trying orthotic inserts in your shoes might help, but you may need to see a doctor.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My aunt had that same issue when she started walking. They said it was an inflamed bursa? Go have it checked by a doctor.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Gout pain, I'd see a Dr.
  • wtbf
    wtbf Posts: 57
    Options
    Beginning of plantar fasciitis?? I know that that can be painful. google foot strengthening exercises and stretches and see if that helps. Also, definitely make sure you're shoes aren't worn out. It's amazing the difference a new pair of shoes can make. I have what I think is the beginning of a heel spur (dr found nothing on X-ray and says it's probably just inflammation and irritation) and she gave me some exercises to strengthen the fascia of the foot. can't say it's really made a huge difference, I still have the pain but I figure strengthening the foot can't be a bad thing. If it gets worse I may consider some orthotics. I hope you figure it out and good luck!
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    If your foot is warm to the touch and it feels like it's on "fire" it could be a torn tendon, that happened in my knee. My dr. gave me a cortizone shot and I felt so much better in a couple of days. You should ice your foot as often as you can, make sure that your shoes are not worn out, VERY important, if you don't it can lead to foot injuries and nasty blisters. I would suggest taking it easy for a few days no treadmill (maybe do strength only?) and see if that helps, if it is swollen take aleve. If it doesn't get better def see the doc of course!
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would definitely get new sneakers!
  • RJSuperMan
    RJSuperMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Take a few days off to let your feet recover. See your doctor. Could be anything from your shoes to nerve damage....
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this would help it might be a fix for a tendon issue but try sitting in a chair and rolling your foot over a tennis ball or something similar in size, this works to massage the area with issues. My boyfriend has a toe on one of his feet that acts up every once in a while and it's caused by a stressed tendon or muscle or something of the sort.

If that doesn't really help then yes, there is a chance you need to get a new pair of shoes. Typically the life of a shoe for exercise such as walking or running isn't THAT long. The outside of the shoe might look brand new to the eye but using them most of the days out of the week for several months continuously can kill the needed support for your feet.

Also, consider going to a specialized running shoe store. I went to one several months back and had someone help me find the right shoe for my foot. The associate actually measured my foot, watched me walk barefoot and from there she brought out several pairs of running shoes for me to try out. Word of caution about going to a store like that, it most likely will cost a bit more for the shoes but in the end it'll be worth it because you'll get a shoe that fits you better than going into some random store such as Famous Footwear or Sports Authority.
  • circusmom
    Options
    I looked up Gout, don't think that's it. No swelling, or redness, and it's not tender to the touch.
    I think I'll get new shoes and see what happens. Maybe it's time to try biking a few times a week???
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If you can, walk without shoes at all. You will be amazed at the difference. Shoes can cause a host of problems, This might be the start of planter fasciitis. Barefoot walking/running can eliminate the problems that shoes can cause. You do not have to be barefoot 100% of the time either. Some only do it 25% of the time and still have the benefits of going barefoot. It strengthens you foot and calves in places that do not get worked in a shoe.
  • circusmom
    Options
    If you can, walk without shoes at all. You will be amazed at the difference. Shoes can cause a host of problems, This might be the start of planter fasciitis. Barefoot walking/running can eliminate the problems that shoes can cause. You do not have to be barefoot 100% of the time either. Some only do it 25% of the time and still have the benefits of going barefoot. It strengthens you foot and calves in places that do not get worked in a shoe.

I will try this when I use the treadmill, thanks!