How to cut back sugar...

I've been eating relatively healthy, and limiting packaged food! Today I hit 49 over the recommended for me. I feel the majority of the sugars are coming from the fruit I eat, and I eat A LOT of fruit. Especially blueberries, apples, bananas, and strawberries. Does this make a difference in the extra sugar?

Replies

• i would like to know this answer as well.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    I don't think the sugar in fruit is the issue. It's the sugar in processed foods that we have to worry about. I don't know anyone who is over-weight from eating fresh fruit!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I've been eating relatively healthy, and limiting packaged food! Today I hit 49 over the recommended for me. I feel the majority of the sugars are coming from the fruit I eat, and I eat A LOT of fruit. Especially blueberries, apples, bananas, and strawberries. Does this make a difference in the extra sugar?

Search the forum. Lots of great replies to this. :)

Long story short, it's a point of contention. I'm one who supports limiting sugar intake from ALL sources, including fruit.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    I have the same issue...but I think "natural" sugar is better for you.
  • It depends on what you read and what's best for your body - I follow (or try to anyway) Dr. Mercola's recommendations of reducing all fructose consumption below 25g/day.

Some days, like yesterday, I fail miserably and others I do really well. I am following this because I have really low insulin sensitivity and I'm trying to change that - I also have a family history of diabetes on both sides, and I'm trying to avoid that as well.

Go with what is good for you. if you're a sugar addict getting your fix by tons of fruit, then quit sugar for a bit. If you're healthy and just enjoy fruit and there's no adverse reactions - there shouldn't be any harm to eating it!
  • I am a diabetic...and sugar is my enemy. I have found savlation in the Walden farms sugar free, carb free, calore free products. I find that its so hard to be on a diet and track fat because usually that bumps up the sugar but not in these products. I use their salad dressings (weith the exception to their blue cheese and ranch because they taste odd), ketchup, bbq sauce, jelly, and apple butter.

I also limit my fruit to one piece a day. i know that WW encourages you to eat as much fruit as you want. I dont get this becuase of the amount of sugar in natural fruit. I also eat the sugar free jello snack size puddings.

Counting carbs and googling a diabetic diet may help you as well.

Hope this helps.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Natural sugar from fruit is still sugar, though 'better' for you than table/artificial/sweeties sugar. And I'm a person who hasn't gained from eating fruit, but didn't lose, despite being pretty fit and exercising for an hout 5 x per week. Since I've cut sugar (from traditional carbs and also almost eliminated fruit, I've lost effortlessly, which has never happened before).
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    I'm also on the all sugar counts (natural or not) train....I limited myself to berries in the morning with breakfast (they're lower naturally) and then I usually split my other piece of fruit between my morning snack and lunch. This usually leaves me with enough sugar to cover the sugars that happen to be in the rest of the foods in my diet :o)
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Bananas and berries have the highest amounts of fruit sugars. Green apples and pears have the lowest amount of fruit sugars.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat other fruits, as they have great vitamins and minerals you need. But perhaps cut back on the sweeter fruits a bit and replace them with apples and pears.

I LOVE fresh, organic strawberries and blue berries and black berries... but I limit how much I eat because the sugar in them really affects me almost the same as a chocolate chip cookie.

One of my favorite snacks is a green apple, cut into slices, then spread raw, organic almond butter on them. YUM!

God bless!
  • I can't believe so many people can congregate on one site and be so anti-sugar that they talk about cutting extremely healthy things out of their diet. Why, WHY, WHY would you cut fruits out of your diet to meet some arbitrary number for your sugar intake?
  • It depends on what you read and what's best for your body - I follow (or try to anyway) Dr. Mercola's recommendations of reducing all fructose consumption below 25g/day.

Some days, like yesterday, I fail miserably and others I do really well. I am following this because I have really low insulin sensitivity and I'm trying to change that - I also have a family history of diabetes on both sides, and I'm trying to avoid that as well.

Go with what is good for you. if you're a sugar addict getting your fix by tons of fruit, then quit sugar for a bit. If you're healthy and just enjoy fruit and there's no adverse reactions - there shouldn't be any harm to eating it!

I hope you realize that it's not just fructose that causes insulin spikes. Protein is also insulinogenic.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Going over on sugar made me mad too, but I looked and I don't really have a lot of processed sugar normally. I mean, this is coming from someone who used to have 3 cans of soda a day. Most my sugar comes from fruits, cereal, ect. As long as I'm not downing cokes and sugary snacks I'm not too concerned. I moved sugar out of my daily totals because I'm tired of seeing the red

• I hope you realize that it's not just fructose that causes insulin spikes. Protein is also insulinogenic.

Yes - but I don't eat a ton of dairy, or red meat, and those are the two biggest hitters for protein based spikes from what I've read...but you have to eat a lot for it to spike you that much! Sugar is way worse.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    I can't believe so many people can congregate on one site and be so anti-sugar that they talk about cutting extremely healthy things out of their diet. Why, WHY, WHY would you cut fruits out of your diet to meet some arbitrary number for your sugar intake?

some people are just sensitve to sugars. all sugars, doesnt matter where they come from they are sugar, and you can easily over do it even on things like fruit.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    It depends on what you read and what's best for your body - I follow (or try to anyway) Dr. Mercola's recommendations of reducing all fructose consumption below 25g/day.

I hope you realize that it's not just fructose that causes insulin spikes. Protein is also insulinogenic.

I've read that protein also stimulates glucagon action which helps counteract and attenuate insulin action. Still better than a 100% carb insulin spike.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Fruit has sugar and so, yes, it will cause the sugar count to go up. But fruit also has tons of necessary nutrients and most have decent amounts of fiber so fruit does not need to be limited unless your doctor has told you to do so for a medical reason. As long as you are within your calorie goal and also getting enough fat, protein and carbs you'll be fine.

• I hope you realize that it's not just fructose that causes insulin spikes. Protein is also insulinogenic.

Yes - but I don't eat a ton of dairy, or red meat, and those are the two biggest hitters for protein based spikes from what I've read...but you have to eat a lot for it to spike you that much! Sugar is way worse.

Not necessarily. Sugar, in combination with fiber and other types of food has far less of an insulin spike than sugar by itself. This is why the entire Glycemic argument is such a load of crap.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    LETS GET READY TO RUUUMMMMBBBLLLEEEE
  • I can't believe so many people can congregate on one site and be so anti-sugar that they talk about cutting extremely healthy things out of their diet. Why, WHY, WHY would you cut fruits out of your diet to meet some arbitrary number for your sugar intake?

some people are just sensitve to sugars. all sugars, doesnt matter where they come from they are sugar, and you can easily over do it even on things like fruit.

Unless you (general you) get tested for insulin resistance and other insulin related problems, most of these "sensitive to sugar" arguments are faulty at best. Damn near everyone is sensitive to sugar. It spikes your insulin and gives you that "sugar rush" feeling. When sugar is combined with fiber, like fruit contains in good amounts, then the sugar sensitivity to the insulin spike won't be as bad because the fiber alters the insulin response. Also, when combined with other types of foods, greek yogurt for example, the insulin response will be completely different yet again.

Once again, people take a nutrient (sugar in this case) and instead of looking at the different ways it behaves in the body, automatically assume it's terrible for you because of some number on a website saying you're eating too much of it.

Fruit has so many benefits in terms of energy production, long term health, vitamin/minerals and yet people here are telling others to cut it out of their diet? I am honestly blown away by this garbage.

• I've read that protein also stimulates glucagon action which helps counteract and attenuate insulin action. Still better than a 100% carb insulin spike.

Glucagon can be stimulated by not doing anything. In fact, the best way to stimulate glucogan is to not eat/drink anything but water. Glucogan will kick in by itself to regulate your blood sugar. This is the only reasons human beings have been able to survive for thousands upon thousands of years, especially in times of famine.

100% carb insulin spike doesn't actually mean anything. Carbs come in all shapes and forms and the insulin response from them varies widely. Also, as mentioned above, eating carbs (even simple sugars) won't spike your insulin to any significant degree when combined with other foods that contain fiber/fat/etc.