metatarsalgia

Options
I have had inflammation in my foot for over two weeks now. It started 8/18, not bad, didn't know what it was, did a 25 minute run on 8/19 (2 miles), then it was worse over the weekend. Went to an orthopedic clinic on 8/22; without imaging, he said he thought it was inflammation in my connective tissue. My chiropractor (part of a sports clinic, also a long time runner), also thinks it is inflammation in my metatarsals. It seemed to get a little better, then much worse as I moved on 8/26 and was on my feet all day for several days. I didn't exercise at all last week to try to rest it, but was still on my feet a lot unpacking. I iced it 3x/day on Sun/Mon and rested it all weekend. It does feel better, but it stills hurts some. (It's the top of my foot in my 1st metatarsal, and wraps down the side of the foot a little too, and gets worse in the evening).

So my question is, how long before this goes away? How much better does it have to feel before I can exercise again? Can I at least go on brisk walks (4mph)? Has anyone else dealt with this before? I want to hear your experiences. Thanks.

Replies