Peripheral Neuropathy

Options
I'm wondering if anyone has this condition and has any encouragement about exercising with it. I am not a diabetic but I have neuropathy none the less. Lately it seems to flare up a lot more so that my feet hurt while I'm laying down or sitting and so much more when I try to use the treadmill or walk. I need to get back to exercising! I could up my meds but I'd like some kind words too. Speak comfort to me friends.

Replies

• Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation you are. I am insulin resistant, but not yet diabetic, but I do have some Neuropathy. I take Alpha Lipoic Acid supplements twice a day and it has actually improved my Neuropathy considerably. I first learned about it researching the condition online, and since I'm not taking any diabetic meds, got a thumbs up to try it. Since you're on meds, you should check with the doc for sure - it tends to make some meds more potent.

I recognize the problem of having your feet hurt laying down and sitting up and even more when you use the treadmill or walk - it's something of a catch 22. I have found that when it flares up, rubbing some sportscreme or aspercreme on the most painful parts of my feet actually helps a lot. So does rubbing a little Noni seed oil onto my toes (they are where it is worst), but the Noni seed oil is more expensive than the cremes. The use of anything moist on your feet isn't recommended for those who are actually diabetic, so I am working very hard to make sure I don't actually get there, as it is a real threat for me.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone - it complicates the incorporation of exercise a lot, but it is not an insurmountable problem. On the days that it is worst, I stay off my feet and do some upper body work with hand weights, arm circles etc. Everyone has their challenges, and this one is tough, but it isn't an impossible situation. Do what you can every day, and work at being as healthy as you can, and you can overcome the issue in spite of the pain. Best of luck to you!
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have really annoying peripheral neuropathy resulting from CIDP. My neurologist (Professor and Chief of the Neuromuscular Center at USC) has some theories that CIDP, peripheral neuropathy, diabetes, etc. are all autoimmune conditions that can respond to lifestyle changes.

When I was diagnosed, I was only a couple pounds shy of being morbidly obese. He shared his theories about the autoimmune aspects of various diseases and gave me the option of beginning immune suppression therapy or see what relief I might attain through lifestyle changes before resorting to more extreme measures. I want to qualify that my CIDP symptoms were less extreme than what many others experience limited to numbness/tingling of the feet, lower legs, face and hands along with some corresponding muscle weakness of the legs. Fortunately for me, my peripheral neuropathy was more annoying as it is not painful.

Fast forward to today, I have lost 65+ pounds, and adopted a new lifestyle of better diet and regular exercise. I now run half marathons and marathons, cycle, etc. and found that positive lifestyle changes did in fact mitigate many of my symptoms. The peripheral neuropathy is still present but I have seen that the progressive worsening I was experiencing stopped and they symptoms seem much less extreme. My experience seems to support my doctor’s theories – he used the example of how lifestyle changes can reverse type 2 diabetes and in my case, lifestyle changes made a profound difference.

Hopefully you can gradually build up on your exercise and experience similar benefits. Best of luck to you.
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    I was just reading about the Alpha Lipoic Acid and I will look into it. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I am feeling symptoms in my legs as well and it's getting a bit scary so I do need a new appointment with my doctor. I am not diabetic of even close. I have no family history for it either. They have no idea why I have this. Thanks again.
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    I really annoying peripheral neuropathy resulting from CIDP
    What is CIDP?
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy - It's basically like MS only it affects the peripheral nervous system rather than the central nervous system. It's a very rare and has other symptoms besides the neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy can be caused by so many conditions making it difficult to diagnose. My wife has it but really has no specific diagnosis at to what is causing it. She takes a couple of meds to treat the symptoms and she has been trying to exercise to lose weight - hopefully it will help her like it has with my case.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    My mom has peripheral neuropathy. For a while, her doc was studying Tai Chi as a means of diminishing the symptoms. There was a group of patients who practised together. She said it helped some. IMO, the amount of Tai Chi was pretty minimal. Since she moved, she doesn't practice it any mode, but she's had a knee replacement and other distractions.

I would think any kind of *gentle* regular stretching you can do would be helpful. As I understand it, nerves are basically tubes of fluid, and the fluid needs to circulate a little bit. If the nerve gets a little bit squished or pulled tight over a bend, it restricts the fluid a little.

I have a minor problem with the nerve that lead to the pinky and (surprise !) the outer half of the ring finger. The nerve passes up the forearm and over the outside of the elbow. My 1.5 outer fingers on each hand were getting numb and tingly. When I learned about the bend that that nerve takes at the elbow, I started doing general arm stretches, and avoiding having my elbow bent sharply for long, uninterrupted periods of time. It definitely helps.

Also, the post about inflammation makes a lot of sense. I've been reading up, and it seems like mainstream scientific research is definitely beginning to recognize that the inflammation system plays a significant role in many, many more diseases than we (they) used to think. You might look into an anti-inflammation diet. (Hint : Eat natural, healthy food. Don't eat processed, garbage food.)
  • ErinCay
    Options
    hmmm. did not know you had this. what med are you taking. I take Lyrica for my back pain issues. it does help alot with allover body pain, and I know it is mainly used for diabetic neuropathy. i take a lot of it, or used to- 400mg a day which is almost above the max. you might want to ask about it.
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    I don't have it, but my dad does with his MS. He can't really "exercise" anymore, but I know that he stays as active as he can just by doing things around the house and knowing his limits. I also know that he does best when he stays in the right conditions - out of the sun, cool, nothing too strenuous. Not sure if that helps...