Not ready for this.

ASPhantom
ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
So, my son's best friend is a girl. He's 11, she just turned 13. They have tons in common, soccer, love of animals and both want to be vets. They hang out together a lot and he is also really good friends with her brother. (Brother is also 11.)

So, they both are starting to like each other as more than friends. I am SOOOO not ready for this.

I told him that girls will be in and out of his life but, best friends are hard to find. He said that's what her mom said too.

Ugh...Why do they have to grow up? Not sure what else to say.

Replies

• Hang in there, mama! On the upside, you're so lucky to have that kind of relationship with your son where you can discuss things like relationships with girls. Looks like you did a great job of raising him!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Be encouraged, Mom! Its going to be ok. Its all part of it! I'm glad i have about 6 or 7 years to worry about this! My son's best friend is a girl, too, but they are only 5.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    I fear the day my daughter starts dating. And he doesn't know it yet, but the guy she starts dating better fear that day too. Dad is watching closely and is protective of his little girl. :devil:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    been there , done that , keeping talking , don't judge and NEVER tell them if you hate thier choice of parntner my are 22, 20 , and 18 you will be ok i promise
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    That's the crazy thing, she is the type of girl that (10) years from now, I would love him to have in his life. She's not prissy or bossy, she's smart and they constantly pass the ball around.

We spend tons of time with this family as our younger kids play soccer together, and the boys play Academy soccer together. We see them 4-5 days a week, games are followed by dinner, and often they are rearranging the cars so they can all ride together.
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    I am pretty much in the same situation with my son 13, he has a best friend who is a girl she is 12 and is friends with her 2 younger brothers. Her mother and I are really good friends too luckily but he has confided in me that he like her more than a friend which I was so happy he talked to me about it but its bitter sweet for sure. I have been telling him that he has plenty of time and he tells me that he knows that, so I try to make him understand that school is #1. He has grown so much over the last year he is already taller than me. I'm so not ready for it either!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Won't lie... I'd be a mess *LOL* My one and only is five and I am in complete denial that he will grow up :sad:
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Just last night my fifteen year old told my eleven year old, "You're eleven, girls are still supposed to have cooties!" Good luck!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    My wife and I prepared for this. We never potty trained our daughter. I figure if your date poops in the car, date's over.
    Good luck, everything will work out. Eventually.
  • jen_pughe
    jen_pughe Posts: 8 Member
    Hang in there! I am not looking forward to that at all, but that is so wonderful that you two have a good relationship that he can talk to you.
  • I wish i got to post something like this :ohwell: My kiddo lives wit his dad (at the moment) because he hated livin in Cali wit us :sad: However, after he finishes 8th grade next June, he says he'll b movin down here because he's done living with his dad :bigsmile: Atleast he's open with you and willing to talk to you about it. Just hang in there, this is the first of many!!!