trying to lower my triglycerides

Options
I need to lower my triglycerides in the next three months or I will have to go on medication. I could stand to lose a little weight (5-10 pounds). Do you have any suggestions? I've been eating oatmeal with apple sauce for breakfast. Susan

Replies

• aunt_hbomb
    Options
    my doctor told me to take fish oil caplets. also, he said to us regular olive oil rather than extra virgin. he said despite the other benefits of evoo, it is high in triglycerides. good luck.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Never had that problem but my mother ate oatmeal, and walking at least 30 min a day, losing weight has well
  • goddesshanna
    goddesshanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do that as well. Right now I am trying krill oil. The recommended amount of krill oil for lowing triglycerides is 1,000-2,000 mg which can be kind of pricey and a lot of pills.
    The important thing to know is that your triglycerides can be highly affected for up to 48 hrs by eating high fat and high sugar items like ice cream or white rice (high starch which breaks down into high sugar). Switching to whole grain starches may help.
    For me, it'll probably be the pills due to a two pronged family history. good luck!
  • carlobuff
    Options
    I am no doctor or health care professional.
    I know what works for me. Everyone is different.
    I have had high triglycerides for years.
    I could not take the medications and would not take some of them because the side effects were just terrible on my body.
    I have been taking prescription fish oil for a long time, it helps. It is called Lovaza.
    Ask your doctor about it before you go on other meds.
    also the med with the niacin may work. Try everything natural before you go on those drugs that have so many side effects.

exercise is the best thing besides drinking lots of water. more than 8 glasses a day.

cut out the sugars and lower your carbs. cut out the vegetable oil,canola oil, all fried foods.
    definitely lose weight if you need to
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    never heard that about EVOO... should try that. My triglycerides are sky high... with meds.